1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This is off-rolling surely ..

Discussion in 'Education news' started by moscowbore, May 21, 2019.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Mrsmumbles, Sally006 and PeterQuint like this.
  2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

There are several sides aren’t there?

First, the school is awarded a sum of money to provide the teaching and to pay for the exam. This is the pupil's entitlement.

Does it have the legal right to do this? Imagine if this was the child of more well to do parents? Not a chance. Therefore it is discrimination against a certain social class.

Did the child genuinely write nothing of merit in the exam? It could be the child had been off a considerable amount, had no redeemable knowledge and the school might suggest to parents that it is worth interrupting and repeating a year. That could certainly be the case.

In what way might a school's public standing be enhanced by this? Do they have a 100% passrate?

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The pressure SLT have to declare 100% pass rate seems to trump concern for the pupil. I suspect that other schools are behaving in a similar way.
    We have lost something considerable when concern for pass rates takes so much priority. Obviously it is not good to fail an A level after 2 years, but sometimes you learn through failure.

Jamvic and harsh-but-fair like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

There is nothing new in this. When I was HoY 13 (some 14 years ago) the school routinely did this...and when I complained I was overruled! Needless to say I didn't stay long in the role (or school).

Oh, and the school was awarded outstanding by OfSTED more than once at that time!

5. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

When I worked in a sixth form college this would not have had any advantages on our results as we were measured on success rates which take retention rates into account rather than pass rates. Is it different for school sixth forms?

The only students we didn't let sit the exams were those with appalling attendance.

6. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

I am astounded by this if it is common practice. Had no idea. I’m primary but my child has this to come. Go forbid he ends up in a sixth form that does this. When I took A’levels we had those that flunked, those that got As (no such thing as A* in those days) and those that got low grades. Many of those who flunked re-sat and those with low grades went on to have successful careers. Our teachers told us to do our best of course but if it didn’t work out all was not lost. What has happened to both education and society as a whole? Yet the same set of leaders promote bull s**t well being policies saying they care about the emotional well-being of their students. How can they do this so close to the exam date? Any student who looks like they are on the wrong path should have had guidance a year ago. What is more how can they tell that a student hasn’t turned themselves around after poor mock results. I’m just so sick of this culture. I am just about Fit to return after a long absence due to WRS ill health. I feel just about ok to go into class but am I ready for this culture?

Jamvic and sbkrobson like this.
  7. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

I quite agree that the root cause is League tables.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed]

League tables poison the education system is this is a classic manifestation of that poisoning.

I started a thread about entitled :

How the poisoning of education by league tables is manifested

https://community.tes.com/threads/h...ue-tables-is-manifested.790585/#post-12827518

Feel free to comment as I think this is what the media should be reporting on rather than spurious pontifications from politicians.

Jamvic likes this.
  8. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Also, like my son’s school, they can put false pass rates “We are a comprehensive and 90% of our sixth form get A and B grades at A level”....

Jamvic likes this.
  9. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

Really? A comment about suspecting that something is NOT illegal gets cut now....How churlish.

10. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

11. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Well, we are all edu-businesses now! They used that word ‘robust’ in their ‘argument’; enough said....

12. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

13. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

Do sixth forms have different rules than schools in this case? My sixth form was awful as a kid. My brothers class was told they could go for interviews during school time and he had gone for a part time job at Asda. When he told his tutor, they permanently excluded him just before his exams.