1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This is it!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by xena-warrior, Jan 8, 2016.

1. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

The weekend all my dreams come true! All my financial ones anyway. Two gigantic lottery jackpots, which I need to tell you now, have my name written all over them, and that name is not "loser".
    Don't bother. I've already bought my ticket, I mean wisely invested two quid in my and my family's future. Save your money. Scorpio's in Uranus and that's always a tricky thing.

rachelpaula008 and sabrinakat like this.
  2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Its tricky having anything in Uranus that shouldn't be there!

3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

£60 million!!!

We've always got on well, haven't we, xena? Admiring each other, been willing to support each other, sharing things etc...

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

And the odds have got better too. Only about 10 million to one instead of 14 million to one. With odds like that who would turn down a flutter?

RedQuilt and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. cuteinpuce

Did I mention sharing things? Money and...er...stuff...

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Inappropriate innuendo is a punishable offence, you know.;)

7. cuteinpuce

I've noted that. That's why I haven't posted a comment about the Korean travel massagers being likely to come again tomorrow morning.

yodaami2 and Lascarina like this.
  8. johnnymitchell

johnnymitchell Established commenter

Scorpio or scorpion?

That N is very important.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Daughter and BF are discussing how the jackpot has their name all over it as I type...

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Not yet, Lascarina. If you read my lottery odds are changing thread, you will learn that the odds rose from 14m:1 to 45m:1 after another ten choices of number were added.

The reason the jackpot is now so high is because the odds make it unwinnable.

However next Wednesday, if nobody gets the jackpot it gets shared among those who get the next winning tier down, which in the case of five balls and the bonus ball the odds are 6.5m:1.

So don't waste your pension on the Saturday draw. Save it for next Wednesday.

ilovesooty likes this.
  11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Really? did they remove some numbers or something? Last I heard (yesterday, driving home from work) it was actually up to one in 45million

12. NarnianRoyalty

NarnianRoyalty Occasional commenter

As the actress said to the bishop...

sabrinakat likes this.
  13. Duke of York

One of the female bishops we now have?

14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Ah. I had understood that this was to happen this Saturday, thus improving the odds of winning.

15. Duke of York

Were you to win this fortune, what might you spend it on?

16. xena-warrior

So, £50+million? I have two boys, a lovely girl, two brothers, nephews and nieces, and two grandchildren. I want their future financial security secured.
    That'll probably stuff it although I only want everyone else to (a) have enough to retire on, or (b) follow their dream. Past that generation, I think school fees and a mortgage should be enough to secure yet not spoil.
    So what's left, if any, will be going to the charities of my (MY: I bought the damn thing) choice.

17. xena-warrior

Look out for the inevitable plunge of disappointment at 9.30 while I have to bitterly COUNT MY CLUCKING BLESSINGS.

sabrinakat likes this.
  18. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Does the tax man get any part of the winnings?

________________________________________________________________________________
    Sabrinakat aka Sabrina Feles, Dei Gratia Britanniarum Regnorumque Suorum Ceterorum Regina, Consortionis Populorum Princeps, Fidei Defensor et Stella Interpres Terum

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Daughter and BF have now been to shop and bought lots of tickets and scratchcards... lots of laughing from upstairs.

20. Duke of York

The winnings are tax free. The taxman gets his bit when the money is given away to relatives and the like in the manner that xena suggests she might do.

She'd be better off spending it of things that would take care of all their needs for all the time she's alive and leave what's left in her will.

Better still, set up a charity that anyone she cares about become directors of, drawing nice incomes from it as and when it's advantageous tax-wise to do so and to use that charity's education budget to help educate those five-year old directors to become outstanding charity workers, should they feel inclined to, once they've done the university thing.

It's a different world when there's a decent amount of cash in the bank to do this sort of stuff. Our dear friend Madge will do his best to deny it, of course.