1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This is how silly Tes censorship is.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lapinrose, Apr 24, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes it did, what an insult to the Sheika and the Emir and all the Arabic people. Come on Tes, grow up B I N T means daughter or girl, nothing else!

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

The massive extra cost of installing a contextually relevant filtering system would hardly be worth it given the very few instances where its use would be justified (apart from when people deliberately post things they know will be censored just to make a point).
    And isn't "an insult to ALL Arabic people" rather over-egging the pudding?

4. There is a post currently on the front page which I find much more insulting than any swear word, or apparent insult.

5. Some posters like to exaggerate. I am not a lawyer but I think there is far more to the law nowadays that must make running a site like this a nightmare for a large newspaper / media group. I suppose blanket censoring "in case" even if it means hitting some more innocent posts is preferable to having a law suit raised against you for cyber bullying, harassment, bullying, abuse etc. Add to that the apparent fact that some posters, despite their protestations probably have very itchy report fingers for reasons of their own agenda and what is TES to do?
    I can understand them. It seems better now they are down hard on the posts even if it might sometimes appear over the top. Remember appearances can be deceptive and no one knows the full story of what might be going on in the background vis complaints to TES and the moderators etc. Things you and I do not know about and posters deny. I think TES err on the safe side and do OK.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

But in the case of B i n t, they are filtering a word which I have only ever heard used in its correct context, ie the Arabic word for daughter or girl. It is legally part of a woman's name, so why has it been banned? I have only ever heard it used by my uncle who was in Egypt in the context of 'shufti b int' meaning look at that girl.
    My Arabic name is Zahra b int Al-Jamel!!

7. doomzebra

Bi nt is most often used as a term of insult in the English language. You knew this or else why would you have chosen to start this thread?

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I see one of the mods has actually put the word in that was starred out! Thank you, but just because some claim it is a word meaning something, although I have never heard it being used in that way, doesn't mean that it is not a correct word.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

No because it is part of every female Arabs name, so by not allowing it you are insulting their fathers and them. I think that would include the majority of the Arabic people.

10. doomzebra

Check virtually any online dictionary and you will find b1nt is a derogatory term.
    and a b1tch is the correct word for a female dog - it doesn't stop it being an insult. We are back to context filters - a virtually impossible task

11. *** is a male bird.

12. doomzebra

and scunthorpe is a dump

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Nothing surprises me. Some people seem to be able to say what they like about anything, others have to stay on topic.
    I've heard the term b.I.n.t. Used in a very mildly derogatory way - as in " you daft bunt" but it's no more insulting than " you daft bat" etc.

it seems some posters can't resist having a dig or hinting at deeper goings on.

I agree ,I think it's a bit ott, we're all adults, even if not everyone behaves like one. I find some of the stuff people post offensive, but then I'm aware that they set out to be deliberately offensive and provocative.

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Oh yes? What about this then? Particularly the last sentence.

From Arabic ”), used to denote a patronym.

The term entered the British lexicon during the occupation of Egypt
    at the end of the nineteenth century and stems, adopted by British
    soldiers to mean "girlfriend" or "bit on the side". It is used as a derogatory slang word in the United Kingdom meaning woman or girl. Its register varies from that of the harsher ***
    to an only slightly derogatory, almost affectionate, term for a young
    woman, the latter being more commonly associated with the West Midlands.
    The term was used in British armed forces and the London area
    synonymously with bird in its slang usage (and sometimes brass) from at least the 1950s. The term has also famously been used in the classic film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, in which the Lady of the Lake is referred to as a "moistened ***", and in the phrase "grotty Scots ***" in the "English English" scene of the film Austin Powers in Goldmember.

Following the Second World War, workers were imported from Yemen to
    fill the vacancies left in the Tyneside ship-building industry. The term
    found its way into the Geordie dialect from the late 1940s onwards and
    is still used to this day. Although the term can be used in a derogatory
    sense, in general it refers simply to (usually young) females.

<h3>
    </h3>

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You need to be French and call it coq, as in au vin.

16. Whilst I have not been here very long even I can recall a couple of threads where the term you refer to has been used as a form of abuse. I could probably pull up several more if I go through the archive. I certainly read of one there I can recall where this word you speak of is used.
    The thing is whilst the word to which you refer is quite ordinary and acceptable in one culture, you need to remember this forum operates in another entirely different one where that same word has a very different meaning.
    I often find this when I am at work. Some of my international students have names which in their own language, culture and countries are " nice" names. Here in the UK they have very different meanings and it sometimes falls to me to explain this to them as gently as possible and we try to change that name at school to save embarrassment and name calling.
    I know my own name has a very different meaning in one language at least. People being people you will always get those who have an unfortunate nasty streak in them. Posters are people and in this environment such nasty streaks it seems become more exaggerated . I think that is because the environment lacks the visual cues that tell us normally that we are causing distress. Posters seemed very insensitive. Some made wild allegations ( maybe they still do and I dont see it as I am not here often). The only way to stop this it seems is strong moderation. Light touch certainly has not worked, as is visible from past posts in the archive and from the fact there are policies regarding pre moderation for posters on opinion and personel. When I arrived here some of the posts and attacks and the language used made me catch my breath. I nearly left. Obviously something happened ( complaints?) and something seems to have been done to stop most of it now. That can only be a good thing surely? Even if your name does get censored innocently?

17. doomzebra

The bit where it says it can be used in a derogatory sense? Is that the bit you mean?
    Just because it can be used in a non-derogatory sense does not mean it will ALWAYS be used in a non-derogatory sense.

18. In general English parlance b int would be used as a derogatory term and therefore could be seen by the many Arabic posters as a slur on there cultural heritage. And we wouldn't want that.

19. doomzebra

Or did you mean this bit?

20. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

The worst I've ever heard is 'you daft b int' but then I am a Southerner.