1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This is how I do guided reading (for what it's worth!)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jun 4, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If it works for you then it is a good system for you. If it works for your class then it is a good system.

It wouldn't work for me because I'd be bored brainless listening to children read 1-1 for an entire afternoon. I also can't see mine concentrating on worksheets linked to spelling and comprehension for an entire afternoon.

I like doing GR in 1/2 hour slots each day.
    I have 5 groups in my class, 5-8 children per group. They rotate through the activities each day.

Group 1, with me reading and discussing their book. I hear them read and listen to their discussions. Tick assessment boxes that keep other people happy.
    Group 2, with TA doing handwriting. The TA is a saint as not all children in a reading group have the same handwriting needs, so she works with each child individually and doesn't go mad in the session.
    Group 3, reading comprehensions at their reading level. They do write the answers and it works for them. Most take two weeks and then I mark them.
    Group 4, have fun writing with the 'writing box'. A large plastic box with a variety of papers, pencils and pens. They can write anything they wish in any format. It isn't marked or assessed, just about having fun writing.
    Group 5 are in the reading corner. They can read a book from there or their own choice of book. We have books made from work done in class and sometimes they choose those. They are allowed to read alone or in a pair. Total free choice.

I get to hear each child read once a week. They get an independent comprehension once a week. They get 1-1 handwriting help once a week. And they get to enjoy reading and writing independently once a week. I'm hoping the same system will work with KS1 in September.

2. Thank you for the responses so far, very helpful.

This is a great idea, and I know my class would just love that, as they love writing on post it notes to each other anyway (thank you for being my friend etc,!). Could you tell me anything else about this? I.e. the types or pens/paper you use, or is it just whatever you have? Can't wait to try it! Thanks for your comments about my guided reading too :)

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL yes mine do the post it notes as well!

Paper is lots of coloured paper, lots of various post-its that I pick up whenever I see any nice ones. Also lots of paper downloaded from the net. If you google handwriting paper for children you get loads of fabulous bits. Just print them out at school and pop in plastic wallets.

Pens are: Highlighters, ordinary school handwriting pens, gel pens, felt tips, coloured pencils, grey pencils. Any other fancy pens I see around and about. Many more pens than pencils because I have year 6 and try to get them to use pen as much as possible. But next year I may have to just have lots of various pencils. Not sure.

Our break/assembly timetables mean we have 1.5 hours before break each morning to fill with lesson time. So it works for me to have maths for an hour and then 30 mins GR. If I didn't have these half hour slots to fill each day then I might consider a longer chunk for GR. But for now it works well!