1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This Is already a long term...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Nov 12, 2018.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

6 weeks still to go. Whoever planned this is an idiot. I’m already fed up with everything as it is. Dark nights. Kids who don’t want to learn. Asre licking staff. Not nice here at present. I feel like jacking it all in and accessing my pension which I can do in December when it’s my birthday. I can do it. Nothing to prove anymore. And for what?

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Lead commenter

You sound very down in the dumps, Red. I have no helpful thoughts, but do send sympathy.
    Is there a chance you could set up a treat for yourself in the next couple of weeks? A day out? A theatre or cinema visit?

red_observer likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

FWIW I took my pension at 56 & 10 months... Best thing I ever did (and I was still enjoying teaching most of the time).

If you can hang on a bit longer it will help your pension - try working out how much you get paid per day/per lesson - I found that helped. When little oiks were making my life difficult, I'd be counting how much I had earned for that lesson, that day etc. :D

4. red_observer

Thank you @mothorchid yeah. Doing enjoy today when I found out via email we have changed the marking policy again. No consultation. It’s a trial of course but I’ve learnt not to chalked the Director of Faculty. What a pompous title. There are 5 other teachers in the Faculty ALL younger than me. They won’t rock the boat so I’m not going to either. I’m sick of it.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. red_observer

Thanks Frank. By getting paid per day what do you mean sorry?

6. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

I empathise.

Right now I am just in the process of formulating a viable exit strategy. It’s actually not too bad where I am but I still think that this could be my last academic year in the job.

agathamorse and red_observer like this.
  7. red_observer

It will be sad. Despite today I do like still teaching but lately I’ve lost some of that enthusiasm. Explains my grumpiness on here. I don’t feel valued at all.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

My sympathies - I took my pension at 56 but taught abroad for 3 years. After my return, I did supply that has been plentiful. In Scotland, supply is not regulated by agencies. You are employed by each local authority and have the more or less similar rights as a permanent teacher.
    Just a thought - perhaps you might consider doing supply. Having your pension could allow you to work part time. That might ease the strain.

red_observer likes this.
  9. red_observer

Thanks @Alice K I’m not sure I would like supply tbh. But it’s a thought.

10. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

If you know you can go and be financially viable you are now working for yourself.

Every extra day you work is a days extra pension and a day of NI contribution to tpyour state pension.

Remember if the school don’t like it they will have to make moves to get rid which will involve some financial transaction.

You can choose to go and then either do nothing, go on supply or stack shelves

Up to you.

I

11. FrankWolley

I worked out how much I earned per week (yes, I know one is actually paid over the weekends & holidays too, but realistically one gets paid for the work one actually does!), then divided it by the number of lessons I taught...and then mentally told myself I earned £... per lesson, good or bad. However carp I was feeling, I found that a good way to get through lessons...But maybe that's jsut me!

12. red_observer

Ok thank you.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I have known a number of ex colleagues who used this method and, for some, it stopped them losing their temper and exploding at the carp being thrown at them.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

It's a shame that young teachers will never know anything different.
    Could you tutor? Work with medically withdrawn students?

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Senior commenter

Do it then.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Divide your annual salary by 195. It doesn't count all the other work time you need to do but gives you a view of what the day has been worth.

red_observer likes this.
  17. FrankWolley

See post #11

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Remember when you plan for escape with financial road maps drawn on silk knickers, essential fluids in Grand Cru Classé bottles, safe houses in exotic locations and so on, that if others are involved necessarily things can go tragically wrong. I relied on Maleficent doing her fair share for four years after I got over the wire but she tunnelled out shortly after.

Dragonlady30 and red_observer like this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Sorry, Frank, I got ahead of that.

20. red_observer

Thanks raccers.