1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This does not seem right.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nixmith, Nov 8, 2018.

1. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Would this be the same Petain who capitulated and sold half of France down the river?

3. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

He was a great war hero in the 1st WW, I think he made a decent start in the 2nd before France fell. After that France was slow in rounding up, and Petain did what he thought was in the best interest of the French- but yes it seems wrong.

If you look at Wiki it says...
    After the war, Pétain was tried and convicted for treason. He was originally sentenced to death, but due to his age and World War I service his sentence was commuted to life in prison and he died in 1951.
    and later, in more detail
    Due to his advanced age, the Court asked that the sentence not be carried out. De Gaulle, who was President of the Provisional Government of the French Republic at the end of the war, commuted the sentence to life imprisonment due to Pétain's age and his military contributions in World War I. After his conviction, the Court stripped Pétain of all military ranks and honours save for the one distinction of Marshal of France.

I can't see any mention of De Gaulle and him having been friends before and their arguing which would be best life imprisonment or a death penalty- Petain argued for the latter De Gaulle the former. De Gaulle was disgusted that his former friend had collaborated. I can't figure out if de Gaulle was inflicting what he'd thought was the kindest punishment on his friend or what he thought his ex-friend would feel was the harshest?

nixmith likes this.
  4. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Thank you for your input Mr Burndenpark (or Ms) I did not know about this:

"He was originally sentenced to death, but due to his age and World War I service his sentence was commuted to life in prison and he died in 1951. "

5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

y

Seconded.

6. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

:cool:

You're welcome, I did some research for a little project a few years ago.

It's Mr BTW;)

7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

WW11 stuff. We went to Oradour-sur Glane in the Summer. This is a southern French village where the Nazis murdered 650 villagers, then destroyed the village. The village has been left as the Nazis left it, to remind everyone of what happened.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oradour-sur-Glane_massacre

Burndenpark and agathamorse like this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Pétain was doing (in WW2) what he thought was the best for HIS version of France - and that version did not include, for example, French Jews. His name was anathema to the French Resistance (who, if anyone can claim the title, were the real heroes in France during WW2).

De Gaulle, also a very religious Catholic French nationalist (I visited his home & grave in Colombey-les-Deux-Eglises only last week, and also saw the pew in the church where he worshipped regularly even when President) made the decision to commute the death sentence for a variety of reasons, among which would have been his service in WW1 and also to avoid creating a martyr. It can't have been an easy decision, but was (IMHO) the right one.

agathamorse likes this.