1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This Caroline Flack business is dangerous

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Corvuscorax, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Suicide is being presented as a way to gain sympathy and respect, as well as an option for avoiding unpleasant situations.

We need to be very careful as teachers, and avoid this.Or we are going to end up with teenagers copy catting, in the expectation that after their deaths they will be more liked and respected, which can matter disproportionately.

We need to downplay the "glamour" and "celebrity" aspect, and be sure not to show any sympathy or respect for her in any discussion with students, and talk about it in terms of weakness and failure

Jonntyboy, alex_teccy, WB and 4 others like this.
  2. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Dangerous enough to have two threads on the subject pulled by the moderators.

Marshall likes this.
  3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Actually am not afraid to say I am sick of the sycophantic crocodile tears from "celebs."
    It would have been better to throw out alerts as to how woeful our mental health agencies are now having been massively underfunded and poorly staffed.

BetterNow and jellycowfish like this.
  4. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Suicide is just someone having a really bad day and making a really bad decision. We should not judge people's lives by their deaths or how they were living when nearing their deaths. It is an insult to their entire existence.

Perhaps if she didn't live in such a fake, celebrity bubble, where she was expected to portray the young, twenty something, beautiful, bubbly, blond persona all the time (when she was 40), and allowed to feel and portray being pi$$ed off, miserable and cynical at times, she wouldn't have felt so much pressure and would have been genuinely happier at times.

The job of us teachers is to attempt to show children that it often aint as it seems.

Jonntyboy likes this.
  5. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Indeed. It must be terrifyingly to face relentless pressure from the media to look perfect and say and do the right thing. I know I wouldn’t cope. Yet I know how many of my pupils tell me they aspire to being famous. Not for any particular skill, just “being famous” - a You-tuber, an influencer...

I’d want my pupils to know three things: the value of true friendship, knowledge of their own worth, and when to seek help.

Jonntyboy and WB like this.
  6. Corvuscorax

I am worried that all the attention she is now getting may strike a chord with attention seeking teenagers, who might think if they die too, they will get the same hand wringing, remorse, adulation, etc etc etc.

bessiesmith2 likes this.
  7. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

That was exactly the same feelings people had about the Netflix series, '13 Reasons Why,' which was about a beautiful teenager explaining why she committed suicide and guilting the people who had hurt her, I think by a series of recordings.

8. Corvuscorax

Its not just feelings, its a known phenomenon, called suicide contagion. This sort of publicity, glamourisation, attention and adulation about suicide leads directly to further suicides.