1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

This affordable home-building thing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

presently reported on BBC news.
    Sorry haven't worked out links on this phone yet.
    Yes obvs. But not seeing much assurance that govt i.e. my money won't be spent building them and not then passing them on to cronies to flog for megabucks to some homegrown or foreign crony?

towncryer likes this.
  2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I don't know why you would even think about seeking that sort of assurance from a Tory government.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Well, for starters, their idea of "affordable" is nonsense. Round here there are none. Based on what minimum wage is and other stuff I'd say an affordable home would have to be £60,000 at most, and that ain't going to happen. However, I thought they were talking about "social" housing. Even building 10 million houses isn't really enough, and builders are only interested in big fat profits which they get from "executive style four bed homes" starting at 200K round here. Exactly what an "executive style home" is, I have no idea what difference it would be from a house. It does not cost an awful lot more to build a four bed than a two bed as interior walls are built of cheese these days, you still need exterior walls, windows and a roof. Usual Tory nonsense. say one thing for the punters while bunging big bucks at the rich.

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Another pointless enquiry to tell us something we already know. As usual nothing will be done.

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Just like the help to buy scheme, this is going to make the executives of house building companies very rich indeed.

Councils should be allowed to borrow money to build affordable homes and they should be allowed to keep the money raised by the right to buy.

6. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

Is this some new initiative? Could the OP or someone else provide a link?

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It is just the government's latest attempt to deflect us away from the debacle that is Brexit.

mothorchid and monicabilongame like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

In my home city there is little or no affordable housing - what there is is lots of massively overpriced and not very good housing.

Young people looking for a first time buy have no chance.

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'll have a go.
    BBC News - England 'needs millions of homes to solve housing crisis'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46788530