1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Third Trimester Increased Workload: Advice/Rant Needed!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by sakura_06, May 3, 2011.

1. I'm 36 weeks pregnant today and have 8 days left in school, which is very exciting. However, my timetable has been changed this term to give me an extra lesson to teach per week. This is also a subject I've never taught before. The class seem lovely, but I was a little disheartened by the message school were sending me by increasing my workload.
    In addition, SLT have decided today that they will monitor the department of which I am a member next week. This means I will be observed by SLT on Wednesday and Thursday next week (with Mat Leave starting on Friday). This is making me feel very stressed. The department has to be monitored as we're in Special Measures. However, having had Ofsted visit just before the holidays, I was rather hoping to just get my house in order next week before going on Maternity Leave!
    I also feel that observations are really important because SLT have neglected to do any Performance Management this year which I will need to get through threshold. I am therefore very apprehensive about how I will perform, as I find it very tiring to be on my feet.
    I could go on Leave a week earlier, but I wanted to stay until next Friday, as that is the last day Year 11 will be in school before their exams. I have 2 Year 11 exam groups and I'm also a Year 11 tutor. If I go on my Leave early, I will miss the year photos, Leaver's Assembly and teaching my 2 exam groups for the last time. I'm also a bit worried (although I realise this is totally out of my control), that there has been no one appointed to replace me for the rest of this term!
    If anyone can give me any advice on what I should do, I'd be really grateful.

2. This isn't fair on you at this late stage of pregnancy. There should have been a risk assessment when you notified them of pregnancy then monthly reviews of this. Say you need your risk assessment reviewed urgently as is your right. They are giving you extra stress at critical time. Are you getting proper facilities for rest each day & adjusted duties to address increased tiredness? Ring HR if they try to ignore your request & union.