1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Third term NQT maybe failing

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by IceEagle, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am hoping for any advice or information that you can give me.

I am a few weeks into my third term as an NQT and I am very low on confidence and am quite depressed. I dread going to school each day and it is now starting to take a toll on me psychologically. Its not the first time I have felt like this (I have felt this way all term and regularly through my other two terms) but I have worked so hard to get here (and I do/did enhoy teaching alot) that I have forced myself to continue rather than admit defeat.
    My mentors have all told me I am satisfactory and that I am in no danger of failing (although I am not sure of that myself and am certainly not happy with my ability to teach) and they are saying they are now trying to push me into being a good teacher. However I don't feel that I have made any progress here and feel that I am letting the department down (who are great and very supportive) and letting my classes down.
    I have thought about quitting before (although I can't afford financially to take time out and not being paid) but am now solow on confidence and fear failure at this school that I am seriously considering it.
    Is it possible to quit this late into your third term? Or has anyone done this before and if so how easy was it to find a third-term placement at another school? Is this a black mark against your name when applying for other jobs?
    Sorry if this is unclear in anyway, and I will try to clarify anything that is unclear. I am just feeling very down at the moment and I don't see it getting any better. I am convinced that I can be a good teacher and that maybe it is the school/environment that I am in. Whatever it is, I am going through my usual night of dread that I have on a Sunday and I am sick of how bad that makes me feel.
    Thanks for reading. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

2. Hi
    I am hoping for any advice or information that you can give me.

I am a few weeks into my third term as an NQT and I am very low on confidence and am quite depressed. I dread going to school each day and it is now starting to take a toll on me psychologically. Its not the first time I have felt like this (I have felt this way all term and regularly through my other two terms) but I have worked so hard to get here (and I do/did enhoy teaching alot) that I have forced myself to continue rather than admit defeat.
    My mentors have all told me I am satisfactory and that I am in no danger of failing (although I am not sure of that myself and am certainly not happy with my ability to teach) and they are saying they are now trying to push me into being a good teacher. However I don't feel that I have made any progress here and feel that I am letting the department down (who are great and very supportive) and letting my classes down.
    I have thought about quitting before (although I can't afford financially to take time out and not being paid) but am now solow on confidence and fear failure at this school that I am seriously considering it.
    Is it possible to quit this late into your third term? Or has anyone done this before and if so how easy was it to find a third-term placement at another school? Is this a black mark against your name when applying for other jobs?
    Sorry if this is unclear in anyway, and I will try to clarify anything that is unclear. I am just feeling very down at the moment and I don't see it getting any better. I am convinced that I can be a good teacher and that maybe it is the school/environment that I am in. Whatever it is, I am going through my usual night of dread that I have on a Sunday and I am sick of how bad that makes me feel.
    Thanks for reading. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

But you're nearly there. If you are not in danger of failing, I would urge you to struggle in and get this term finished. Nearly half term! Get to Easter and it will all get so much easier - exam classes gone, work experience etc
    Look for another job - it'll be so much easier to get one if you're employed than if you leave.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You need to think very carefully and clearly. If you quit at this stage you are likely to find it difficult to get an induction post to complete the year Heads would want to also know why and are likely to be sceptical.Your better bet is to complete induction year and then you can look for a new school as an "experienced" teacher without the baggage of induction.

5. It makes me feel so sad when I read posts like this – you obviously care about your teaching and are trying hard to do the best job you can. The induction year should not be so stressful that it brings new teachers to such a meltdown in confidence and questioning of their ability. Unfortunately a minority of schools exploit the fact that NQTs are so terrified of failing and being banned from the teaching profession for life that they will pile as much work on them as they can get away with. It is extremely stressful knowing that you can fail this year. For some NQTs this can have a very negative effect on confidence and ability to teach. You are not alone in feeling this. It is the induction and training system that is at fault not you.
    As others have said you are nearly there – the school is unlikely to fail you if you stick it out. If you seriously think they will then you need to consider your options carefully. It sounds like you really need a break and to get some perspective on it all. My advice is to consider your own health and welfare as a top priority. If you are in such a state that you are seriously thinking of packing it all in why not take a week off sick and consider your options? You are allowed up to 30 days off sick during an induction year. Taking a few days off sick would be less disruptive to the school and your classes in the long run than leaving midway through your third term. You will probably be able to return refreshed with a new more positive perspective on it all and hopefully will then be able to complete the year.
    Good luck

6. I can totally sympathise with you here... I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE teaching but feel like I can't keep up with the constant demands. I have been adapting planning supplied by Hamilton trust for literacy rather than planning from scratch and the lessons aren't as exciting as they could be. Tonight we had a staff meeting that showed the year below me high ability is achieving higher than mine (in one piece of writing). My class are lovely but are notoriously a slow learning class. Staff meetings like this leave me feeling completely incompetent and in a panic. I'm worried that mine will continue to make slower progress than everybody else. I have two observations next week one from mentor and the other SLT which I am dreading. They all say I'm doing the right things but I can't help feeling I'm drowning in something that's beyond my ability. Not helpful at all but just thought I could kind of sympathise. Hope it all goes ok for you/

7. Please do not do anything until; you seek help and support. Contact your union for help and advice. Also see your GP as you are clearly suffering from, stress. I would also contact the teacher support network (TSN) for their help.
    This close to the induction finishing line it would be far better to try and complete and then, if you leave teaching and wish to come back after a while you will be able to do so with no 'third term' to still complete.
    TSN http://teachersupport.info/about/contact-forms/index.php
    James

8. I went through a similar thing last year in my NQT year. My school helped me cross the finishing line and i have now taken a little time out while doing one to one tutoring.

You are so close to the line and as you have been told you are in no danger of failing you might as well keep going to get the NQT under your belt.

You sound like a great teacher who loves teaching - please dont throw it away :)