1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Third ofsted requires improvement - what next?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by tig82, Jun 28, 2018.

1. tig82

tig82 New commenter

Hi,
    I'm looking for advice as to what would happen if the school was requires improvement for a third time. We had a pretty rubbish inspection a year and a half ago and are due ofsted soon. However the head feels the data isn't strong and there is talk of being RI again. This has lead to talk of jobs being on the line and its a bit of a worry.
    I thought ofsted had changed the ruling of 3 strikes and you're special measures or is that something different?
    Also I'm on mat leave and won't be back until after ofsted - if jobs are at risk where would I stand?
    Thanks

Honeydew likes this.
  2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I have no real idea but a school I used to be familiar with has been inadequate since 2010, all barring one year when it was RI. If it were an early years setting it would have been closed down by now.
    So even it if does go to special measures, I'm not sure you would 'see' anything different.

3. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

If a third RI on the trot comes, surely it is the entire ineffective management team that should be flushed down the bog first?

4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

I’ve never personally experienced a ‘hatrick’ of RI OFSTED inspections but it is more than likely that the jobs of the HT and SLT will be on the line if it was to happen.
    I do know of a HT and DHT in a school that resigned when a poor OFSTED report came through, to then go on sick leave until their employment ended leaving the school to be run for an entire term by an AHT.
    Ironically, 4 years later after this happened, both said HT and DHT have pursued different career paths outside of teaching.

5. michael__foster

michael__foster New commenter

If Ofsted deem that the leaders within the school have the capacity to improve the school, then it's simply graded RI and it follows the same process of a monitoring inspection visit before a full inspection up to 30 months max later.

6. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

What michael says.. it is possible to get RI x 3 and its possible for the leadership team to stay in place! It depends why the school is RI....

digoryvenn likes this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Some schools are in this situation too - so you are not alone. You will know why the school is in RI and whether their Action Plan is working or not. It may be Leadership or something else.

In terms of being off anyway, there is little you can do if you are ill..Remember always your health matters more anyway. If it is troubling you, by all means check with your Union..But sometimes.with Ofsted it is best not to get sucked into the panic and fear that some hts seem to exude. Put you and your health first. :)

8. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

It is possible to be graded inadequate for three inspections and for the HT to be still in place.

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Oh, we're on our fourth ( and satisfactory before that!) But leadership keeps getting "good" so we keep trying!

10. d43587

d43587 New commenter

The school I joined had 3 satisfactory/RI judgements. Each time leadership and management was judged as being RI. No change to the SLT in over 12 years despite the poor ofsted judgements. Headteacher surrounded herself with governors who were her friends. It happens!
    Having said that, all the teachers in the school would agree that we all learnt more having been an RI school and the opportunities it brought. Steep learning curve but we are all better teachers for it.

lardylegs likes this.
  11. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

All depends on the judgement for leadership.
    As you're on mat leave you're absolutely the safest one there.

lardylegs likes this.
  12. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Under the new framework you'll receive a Section 5 inspection - the full works.

They don't look at data trawls but will ask SLT what they understand to be the strengths and weaknesses in teaching and learning and how the data they collect is moving children forward.