1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Third of teachers ban electronic devices in classroom despite positive outcomes, survey finds

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 18, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Not sure that there really is any evidence that the use of technology has improved educational outcomes.

There is also the issue of addiction to technology.

Having said that when used appropriately it has a place, but not convinced that it is used appropriately very often.

JL48 and indusant like this.
  3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I think that tech can be great for research (as long as they are taught how to do it properly), providing extra support for or extending students, and when used at home to help provide feedback and support that teachers would otherwise give.
    In class, however, it can be a huge distraction, and there is very little for most subjects that can be done in class with tech., that can not be done at home. So why waste the contact time? Especially for subjects that may not get much.

yasf and wanet like this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The school I know most well has blanket banned mobile phones.
    The keys are the highlighted words.
    Not does - can.
    Mobiles can be a useful access to internet research, but are pretty rubbish when data input is required. If a mobile pulls up a document from the school network, what can it do with it?
    Mobiles usually have different operating systems to school computer networks - interfacing apps would take quite a lot of co-operation.
    Classrooms are about person to person interaction, thinking, supervised working through learning tasks, practical activities and the like - not peering at a tiny screen (with the wrong website) and ignoring everyone else in the room.

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Pupils can type surprisingly fast into a phone.
    You need a good basic standard of behaviour before you can allow pupils to use their own devices as you have to be confident they will use them properly. In many schools and for some individuals a blanket ban is easier than thirty arguments whining about how it's unfair we did it yesterday but it's my mum...

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

In most (possibly not all, but definitely most) classrooms in most schools, the chance of getting all pupils in any one lesson to use their mobiles as directed/desired by the teacher = 0.

xena-warrior likes this.
  7. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

Personally I have blanket ban on phones as I can see very few situations where they could be useful in a lesson.

Pupils in my school all have iPads and there is plenty of potential for disruption there, but it can be more or less solved with clear routines and expectations. My rules are:
    -iPads stay in bags when pupils line up for lessons
    -iPads stay in bags at start of a lesson unless I ask them to get them out
    -iPads taken out and used for specific activities as directed
    -iPad cases closed and iPads placed flat on the table at the end of an activity or if I am speaking - I regularly remind pupils that it's extremely bad manners to be fiddling with a device while someone is talking to them.

This all works pretty well. I can't guarantee that there is never any off-task behaviour, but it's quite rare. I've hardly had any pupils attempting to play games in lessons this year or last, and the advantage with a tablet compared with a phone is that the screen is large enough to see what pupils are doing and they can't hide them under tables so easily. Because they belong to the school, not the pupil, I can confidently ask a pupil to hand over their iPad so I can see what they've been doing, which is more problematic when it's the pupils' own phone.

And by having clear routines and times of the lesson (I would say 2/3 of a typical lesson, and the entirety of some) in which iPads are away in bags and not in use at all, I think pupils get a varied diet of different types of activities, rather than staring at a screen all day.