1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking seriously about GTP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by DarrylHood, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

My fiance is a primary teacher and I've been asked to go into the school at various times over the past 2 years to help on "experience days" or just to be an extra "responsible adult", but since taking over a Sunday school class and a Youth Cafe, I've realised that I think I've made a huge career mistake and should have been a teacher!

Just completed my first official two days in the classroom and LOVED every second of it. Felt like handing in my notice at my proper job by lunch the following day!

So far, my school experience consists of helping on 3 residential trips over the past two years, two "experience days" (pretending to be a Spitfire pilot and also Drosselmeyer from the Nutcracker). In addition to that, I support my Church Sunday School classes and, as also mentioned, a Friday night Youth Cafe. I'm already booking in to go back in in a week or so to polish off my final two days holiday this year and get some more class time under my belt.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can do to support my application? Someone suggested mentioning sports teams I'm part of - I play football at a local level and also coach the younger ones on occasion...worth mentioning?

All help greatly appreciated!!!

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Get as much experience as you can with the age groups you want to train for. Many successful GTP candidates work as TA's or LSA's first before persuading the schools to take them on. The difficulty is getting the job offer from a school prepared to train you on GTP it is highly competitive.