1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking / Planning on going back to work ... already!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by ladymarm, Feb 22, 2011.

1. childminders vary in price depending on your location. Where i live they cost approx £3.50-£4 phour and tend to charge a retainer for school holidays to hold the place if you don't use it.
    Have you looked into benefits you might be entitiled to? direct.gov.uk

2. I went through the same thought process a while back. I was orignially just going to go back full time and pay a nursery 5 days a week. I will be on my own but because im on m6 + tlr i still didnt get much benefits so there was no way i could afford to go part time, despite it costing less in childcare.
    As time went on i must have got a bit more maternal (lol) and have since decided to go back 0.6 in september (3 days a week). I have to apply after the little lad is born (7 weeks! eek!) but i should get it as they know i'll just go elsewhere if i dont. I love my job, and the thought of not being there full time is a bit scary not knowing what is going on all the time but i just thought spending time with little one is mroe important. Even after benefits (which isnt much) i will still be down 900 quid a month from september compared to what im on now, i do wonder how i'll cope but i will just have to.
    I've already started to make changes like shopping at lidl across the road instead of asda (saves me loads as i dont buy the whole shop like i do asda). With last months wage i paid off my 900 quid credit card so i dont have to worry about the payments of that. And then my car which costs me lots, i am working on getting rid of.
    I'm also quite lucky that im a maths teachers and there is always loads of work for private tutors so i plan to do a couple of 30 quid an hour sessions a week to top up my wages.
    I'm sure you will work something out, especially if you could perhaps try and save now (mind you i havent!)Good luck

Sarah 33wks