1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of withdrawing

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Nottinghamred, Dec 11, 2011.

1. I am thinking of withdrawing from my PGCE. I am really struggling with my 1st placement and the stress of it is completely overwhelming me to the point of making me very unhappy.

What are the financial implications? Will I have to pay back my bursary I have already been paid?

2. I am thinking of withdrawing from my PGCE. I am really struggling with my 1st placement and the stress of it is completely overwhelming me to the point of making me very unhappy.

What are the financial implications? Will I have to pay back my bursary I have already been paid?

3. What is it in particular that you are struggling with? There are plenty of supportive people on here that can offer good advice and support. Don't give up! x

4. Before you ythink about withdrawing, do contact your tutor and ask for help and advice. The unibversity may also havew studentadvisers who could provide help. There should be help availabale for any trainee who is under stress as you seem to be.
    James

5. barneystinson

barneystinson New commenter

A friend of mine quit after only a month or so and I believe (but don't quote me on this) he didn't have to pay it back.
    But you will have to ask your University Mentor because they will know the policies of the University.
    On the other point, the fact that you have made it this far (and you say you are struggling) is an achievement in itself. And it must be noted that in most cases a bad placement is followed by a much more positive one.
    I would stick it out until at least January (when you've had a few weeks of your new placement) and then decide. Unless you have a well-paid job lined up then I would seriously think twice about giving up.