1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of the SCITT...

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by greasychipbuttie, Dec 14, 2018.

1. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

In October I left the PGCE Primary course but having had some time to reflect, my desire to be a teacher remains, I now have a job back in a school but I now wonder if it was my chosen training route that I made a mistake doing?

I've never pretended to be an academic and wonder if I had set myself up to fail?

What are the biggest differences between a SCITT and PGCE? Are my skills tests still valid to use if I apply for a SCITT?

Hopefully someone will be able to advise?

Thanks for reading.

2. MissMarsh19

MissMarsh19 New commenter

Hi, I am currently a SCITT science trainee, completed my first 10 week placement before Christmas which was very tough. we are currently in training for a few weeks with the SCITT training provider before then going into a different contrasting school for six weeks before going back to our first placement. As well as being on placement most of the time and facing all of the normal pressures of teaching, we have assignments and coursework set by the training provider, and evidence collection against teachers standards and all of the usual stuff. On top of all this we do the PGCE too. PGCE is embedded into the course with very little input from the university so it is very self directed which I feel is harder. SCITT is definitely not the easy less academic option, its like planning with one hand whilst marking with the other and at the same time reading through your Essay on pedagogy to make sure you have got your Harvard referencing correct (we are all working all of the hours god sends and people are dropping like flies). Perhaps school direct is another option but someone else may be able to give you an insight into this.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Yes the skills tests will still be valid for a future application.
    Yes teaching is an academic career but most of the skills are practical. There is a world of difference between support work and being the teacher- which suits you?
    Some SCITTs are QTS only so it depends on where you apply

pepper5 likes this.
  4. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I did a primary SCITT and, while I don't think it was easier than a PGCE, I did think it was more suited to my way of learning.

SCITTs are structured in different ways. We did have some input for our PGCE assignments and they were generally scheduled for times when we weren't on placement to enable us to balance our workload more healthily.

It was still an incredibly challenging year but definitely the best training route for me personally!

pepper5 likes this.