1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of teaching? Will it be a waste of time and money?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by schoolsout4summer, Sep 29, 2017.

1. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

2. danlee

danlee New commenter

Saying that you want to raise the profile of the 'profession', emphasis on the word 'profession' is contradictory when you lower the bar for teacher recruitment. The current government want to reduce costs and this seems to be one way of doing it. I wouldn't want to be taught A-Level physics by a person without a degree. The real problem with the current system is retention of teachers - they need to address this issue rather than reducing standards.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  3. sjw3915

sjw3915 New commenter

I’ve been teaching 18 years and sadly I wouldn’t recommend it as a profession. 30,000 teachers left the profession last year. If I find something else suitable I’ll be one of them this year.

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I'm finishing my 30 year plus teaching career with a bit of part time just to see the Y11s and Y13s through to their exams because as a one-man department the school is not replacing staff and so my speciality goes with me. The situation in teaching is currently damage limitation - how can schools can teach the most students with the fewest staff and as cheaply as possible and still give the studenbts a worthwhile learning experience. It's a losing battle.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Don't worry, they'll be replacing us all with robots soon enough.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

7. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Utterly depressing and just another classic example of the government failing to actually tackle the problem of Teacher RandR