1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of teaching? Read this.

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by schoolsout4summer, Dec 17, 2015.

1. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

2. schoolsout4summer

3. teachingspurs

teachingspurs New commenter

I do not think you should just show this one-sided story. I am about to start training to become a teacher after changing career. I do not think it is right or fair that you try and taint people who want to train. Or at least show both sides of the story.

ah3069 likes this.
  4. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I think it's important that you are aware of what you might encounter in this profession. I wouldn't try to dissuade you from becoming a teacher but you should be aware of what your future colleagues in some schools are going through.

5. teachingspurs

Then it should be 2 sided not just, teaching is awful, everything is awful etc... I am a TA, I do have some exp in schools. My colleagues are fantastic. The kids are fantastic and I cannot wait to start training.

Mbengobi likes this.
  6. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

You're right, there are two sides. So why don't you start a thread talking about your experiences and encouraging others to share the great things about teaching or why they want to become teachers. I think it's important that people have all the facts - the good, the bad and the darn right ugly.

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

all i do if anyone asks about becoming a teacher is say something like "ask a school to go in for a bit"
    As a conductor of a band near or university I have had several maths under graduates ask just this over the years. To date, every single one has visited local schools for a few days and then decided to do something else.

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  8. teachingspurs

Strange. I am loving my time in the primary I am in. May be different due to the kids being younger and so the behaviour is not what you get at secondary, but still.

sabrinakat likes this.
  9. schoolsout4summer

Yes, but remember that you are just a TA not a real teacher, so you won't know about all of the extra work and pressures that real, qualified, experienced teachers are subjected to these days.

10. teachingspurs

Just a TS, not a real teacher. Clear off you troll.

ilovepoppies and sabrinakat like this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

But it is true that it is only when you start teaching for real that you experience all the extra work & pressures that teachers have which even the most experienced and fantastic TAs don't have.

I used to love my job (primary) - couldn't wait for the holidays to end so i could get back into the classroom, the children were challenging but the relationships I developed with them made all the challenges worth while, I even didn't mind planning & marking. But in the last 10 - 12 years of my employment (been retired - early - just over a year) the job changed beyond all recognition, and the endless paperwork & testing & changes & need to provide endless, pointless evidence made any work-life balance impossible, and overwhelmed the good parts of the job.

You may see & hear the teachers you work with coping with all of this to a greater or lesser extent, but until you have to do it yourself, you cannot understand where so many of us are coming from.

12. schoolsout4summer

13. teachingspurs

14. schoolsout4summer

15. schoolsout4summer

Watching this link may help you to decide if you want to become a schoolteacher, or not:

With thanks to mrsmumbles

16. teachingspurs

Will you post a balanced argument? As in post some things about why people would want to teach, as opposed to your one sided agenda.

Also, this is 4 years old...

17. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I would definitely recommend teaching as a career. I enjoyed teaching in Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Romania, the UAE, Qatar and now China. I would not suggest teaching as a career in the UK because the paperwork is awful, OFSTED are a pain in the neck, the salary is dreadful in relation to the cost of living and there are lots of nasty things in the UK called "taxes".

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  18. schoolsout4summer

A balanced argument? Why post the Gove link? You need to understand what went on in the (recent) past, to appreciated where we are now and, going forward, what might realistically happen in the (near) future.

Gove’s doctrine towards teachers is still the current mindset of the DFE and of Heads and SLT in schools. It is having a huge and sometimes devastating impact on the lives of good, experienced teachers, especially those on the top of the Main Scale and UPS, where SLT often uses Capability to make them jump ship, or, to push them off. Plenty of desperately sad posts on the TES Community threads . I am sad to say that this is the reality of teaching today for increasing numbers of teachers. You would be naive to imagine that it could not happen to you.

Perhaps it would be useful to quote Michael Wilshaw (Head of OFSTED) at this point. A good head would never be loved by his or her staff, he added: "If anyone says to you that 'staff morale is at an all-time low' you know you are doing something right."

19. schoolsout4summer

I wonder if these teachers would recommend teaching as a career?
    https://community.tes.com/threads/sos.731328/
    Remember, "If anyone says to you that 'staff morale is at an all-time low' you know you are doing something right." - SIr Michael Wilshaw - Head of OFSTED.

20. schoolsout4summer