1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of Teaching in SEN after my postgraduate

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by fbujra, Mar 26, 2012.

1. I finished my postgraduate course last year in Business operations Management, and I feel I find it difficult to find a job in this area. I therefore decided I want to do something in Teaching children with speacial needs. As I have my own child who has learning difficulty I feel I can do something to help other children progress in their dependability, education wise and stuff like that. So what route should I take. please Advise

2. R13

R13 New commenter

Working with kids with SEN is a great job that I would really recommend to those who are interested in it and committed to it . . . rather than people who are struggling to get other jobs

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

You need to get into schools to see if you really like working with children with additional need. Having a child with an SEN is not going to give you insight into being a teacher.

4. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

If you are serious about teaching children with special educational needs you will need to do a post graduate certificate in educaton (PGCE) with qualified teacher status (QTS). or get a place on the graduate teacher programme in a mainstream school and qualify as a teacher. You are looking at at least one more years study.
    Then you can apply for a job as a newly qualified teacher and complete a years assessment as a newly qualified teacher.
    There is a great deal of competition, it is not easy and it's not for everyone. There are often well over 50 good experienced applicants for one job; more depending on the area of the country you want to work in. Your insight as a parent may give you a slight edge. Virtually everyone who applies to teach in special has a great deal of experience working with special children in different settings such as youth clubs, playschemes, voluntary work in special schools and respite care and often they have worked as teaching assistants in a special school before applying to teach. It is rare to find anyone getting through to the interview stage that hasn't.
    You also need to consider the commitment involved in teaching. It's not a 9 - 5 job with good holidays as you'll see from reading some posts on here. If you are serious, go for it. It is amazing, tiring, frustrating and really hard work but so rewarding.

5. Not necessarily, at least not straight away. There are other routes in. Check out the Small Schools Assoc and Human Scale Education. These are umbrella organisations to which small schools belong. They are not specifically SEN organisations, however, many of their members are classified, like our school, as suitable for a range of SpLD. Our roll has a lot of ASD ADHD etc. Of 20 something students 19 are statemented and placed with us by County. Despite this we are an independent school and require nothing in terms of qualification other than a subject specific degree. That said you need to be a certain type of person to cope in SEN and you also need to be an instinctive teacher, have a good sense of humour and the skin of a rhino. Working either as a teacher or LSA in the independent sector may help you make up your mind if this is really for you and it would certainly help with the experience needed to get into state SEN education.
    <u>If you later wish to cross into state SEN provision you will need to
    qualify as a teacher and most small schools are too small to offer
    training via GTP.</u>
    I agree with other posters here who have said that having a child with SEN is quite different to working with other people's children. In fact there has to be a balance of emotional warmth and dettachment. I have had 'SEN parents' before who have been great and others who have coddled too much.
    When recruiting teachers I also much prefer applicants with classroom or voluntary experience. Some of my best teachers started as LSA's and have simply progressed.
    I do love my job, but just to forewarn you...yesterday I got spat at three times, called something utterly unrepeatable and dealt with a 14 year old lad who ate something poisonous from the hedge. We are not a behavioural unit, but it happens in SEN and don't let anyone tell you differently.
    Top qualities sought, enthusiasm, empathy, calmness and <u>personal emotional security</u>.

6. All the posteres were beneficial, I do agree having a SEN child is not as being at school I do like he the rewards that comes with it. When you see a child is getting somewhere. After all these children are Angels and need someone to give them a little push.
    Still thinking about it.