1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of teaching in Abu Dhabi

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by abbieclark248, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

2. aislingb28

aislingb28 New commenter

Hi there are you available to chat about working in Abu Dhabi? Thank you

3. Powergnome3

I have started a conversation with you...

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  4. salma_02

salma_02 New commenter

Hello I’m not quite sure how this website works in terms of chatting ..

5. Powergnome3

Click on your avatar on the very top right hand side of the page (scroll to the top), then there should be ‘conversation’ in the dropped down menu. It will then take you to your conversations.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  6. salma_02

salma_02 New commenter

Hello I found the avatar but I don’t see any conversations started..

7. Powergnome3

Did you see the word conversation? If you did, it’s a hyperlink that takes you to your conversations page...

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  8. RainbowWings

RainbowWings New commenter

I am seriously thinking of working in Abu Dhabi (and possibly Dubai) and have been scrolling through forums with great interest. Am very confused at the huge number of schools that there seems to be and would welcome any advice on those to aim for/avoid. I am a primary school teacher - taught in England and Wales but also abroad and have experience of IB PYP and American system and would definitely consider all of these. Thanks.

9. RainbowWings

RainbowWings New commenter

Very useful information thanks. I am seriously thinking of working in Abu Dhabi (and possibly Dubai) and have been scrolling through forums with great interest. Am very confused at the huge number of schools that there seems to be and would welcome any advice on those to aim for/avoid. I am a primary school teacher - taught in England and Wales but also abroad and have experience of IB PYP and American system and would definitely consider all of these. Thanks.

10. Powergnome3

I have sent u a conversation

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  11. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I think I'd consider more schools as acceptable than @Powergnome3 but it's a very subjective thing. But yeah Abu Dhabi is great especially now the weather is getting better and the social calendar is filling up.

12. gyselsolerswim

gyselsolerswim New commenter

13. THE STOIC

THE STOIC New commenter

Hi
    I am looking forward to moving and starting work in Abu Dhabi in a couple of months time. The school I am starting at looks superb. They teach the Massachusetts State Standards and I was wondering if there is a site like the Teachit we have in the UK for teaching English for these Standards that people use? Sorry to bother you.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  14. Mr_Frosty

I've never used Teachit so I'm not sure what it gives you but I turned this up with a quick Google http://www.doe.mass.edu/frameworks/

If it's the "big round building" (you might not know what that is if you haven't visited AD) school on Yas Island then maybe email them - I know people who work at other schools owned by the same company and I think they have pretty good support and resources.

15. THE STOIC

THE STOIC New commenter

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply Mr Frosty. I will be moving over in Nov so have not visited Abu Dhabi yet. Thanks once again.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  16. Mr_Frosty

It's a great time of year to arrive, just in time for national day and the F1.

17. steluta

steluta New commenter

Top schools for me: BSAK, BCAD, Cran..... on Saadiyat Island and ACS. Class teachers from 15k AED up(or thereabouts) plus normal benefits. Mega hours though, be careful what you wish for ....

Powergnome3 likes this.
  18. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

Mega hours ? is that the case in all UAE schools?

19. steluta

steluta New commenter

No, but the best paying schools will want people who are committed, fairly normal. Great students, everyone wants to learn. On the other hand, pressure from parents is also there

20. Mr_Frosty

I'd add East Sussex near the ministries complex and the Derbyshire school on Reem to that list and many of the big round building schools get rated pretty well by people I know working for them.

I have/do know people who work at some of the schools on Steluta's list and it's way more pressure than my job both from management and parents (not that that is necessarily a bad thing) but I know 2 or 3 people from one of those schools who have "dropped" to a lower tier schools because they felt the management didn't support them in the face of high maintenance parents.