1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of teaching Computer Science in the Middle East.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by rizwanh721, Jun 1, 2018.

1. rizwanh721

rizwanh721 New commenter

I have been trying to settle in to a school in the UK for some years but have found the rewards of teaching much reduced since I started in 2009.
    I have realized that UK Tax is destroying my salary to the point that I am in need of to save hard and so Middle East seems to be the best option.
    Any advice would be really appreciated.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Why the ME? There are plenty of places that pay the same if not better, and are in some awesome countries

3. swsimp160

swsimp160 New commenter

Countries in Africa pay much more. Not everyone's cup of tea but if you want good money.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

..... and of course, you also want to do this for the love of teaching ;)

rizwanh721 likes this.
  5. TheComputingTeacher

TheComputingTeacher New commenter

Which countries in Africa?

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You have to have an undergraduate degree in your subject to teach in the UAE just so you know

towncryer likes this.
  7. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I know this is the common accepted practice but I have a colleague of 3 years who defintely does not have an undergrad (or post grad) qualification that matches the subject they teach and they've been here 3 years.

Maybe our school just has PROs with a lot of Wasta but it's never been an issue for them as far as I know and they are in the process of renewing their visa without problems too.

8. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

There are 3 Computer Science jobs advertised in the UAE on TES at the moment. I have been watching the jobs advertised on TES for months and many Comp Science positions have been re advertised. The situation is the same in some other ME countries. Presumably because they could not fill the positions. I suspect it is to do with the requirement to have a degree in the teaching subject and a matching PGCE. Mr Frosty, I also taught in the UAE 3 years ago without a degree in my teaching subject, and I know several people teaching there in the same position. But they have really tightened up the rules and I cannot now be employed there. Once you are in a school it is no problem renewing a visa, but I'm pretty sure that if your colleague tried to move schools they would have problems.
    rizwanh721 if you have a Comp Science degree I would say go for it. The UAE, in particular, is a very easy place to live and work.

Mr_Frosty and towncryer like this.
  9. teachingmatters1

teachingmatters1 New commenter

The whole situation regarding obtaining a visa is now starting to confuse me. I am a Primary NQT at the moment and in September I will start applying for overseas jobs. The UAE (Dubai) is one place in particular I will be looking at applying.
    I had a quick search and the requirements seems to just ask for at least 2 years teaching experience and a BA degree but not in any particular subject.
    I guess the rules are slightly different for teaching secondary?

10. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

With your subject you will be in demand, particularly if you experience especially at KS5. As others have said don't just limit yourself to just the ME, there are schools in Asia that will pay you as much as many places in the ME and you can have a better lifestyle due to the cost of living.

As I well know it's hard to recruit good CS teachers, and I have seen many jobs on here re-advertised a few times, including a few top schools.

11. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Unless you have the words computer science in the Degree title, you wont be considered for UAE. However, Saudi and Qatar are options but not many jobs going. I teach it myself and it isnt an important subject in most schools so you may find it difficult to stay interested or motivated in the job.

12. willow78

Interesting, all the schools I've worked at, CS was highly valued and very popular at KS3 and a good up take at KS4.

Maybe we have different thinking SMT.

I personally wouldn't work at a school that didn't think of my subject as important.

13. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

The schools in the ME operate as a business first and CS is an expensive subject to put in to practice.

14. willow78

I don't see why the subject is expensive, hard to recruit decent teachers though, I have friends in Qatar and Saudi, they don't seem to have any issue with the respect of their subject in their schools, maybe you are at the wrong school?

15. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

How is CS an expensive subject to put into practice?

willow78 likes this.