1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of switching from Secondary to Primary

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by foziak98, Nov 5, 2019.

1. foziak98

foziak98 New commenter

Hi,

So I am currently doing my secondary PGCE in Social Sciences. However, I have come to the conclusion that I don't enjoy it and I don't think its for me. I want to switch to Primary but I am halfway through my course so I cannot do that. The only option for me is to finish my PGCE and then look for primary jobs.

Has anyone switched from Secondary to Primary? If so please share your experience in terms of;

- What would I need to do to switch from Secondary to Primary
    - Will I be able to find a job in Primary as I will be competing with qualified Primary teachers
    - How it was different going from secondary to primary
    - What is the difference in the behaviour of the pupils
    - Is the workload similar or more/less
    - Is the pay the same

Thank you in advance

2. speechcompanyinfo

speechcompanyinfo New commenter

Hello Foziak98,
    As far as I know, to switch from Secondary to Primary is straightforward. You do a conversion course and then compete for jobs with (as you say ) qualified Primary teachers. The best way to get a job is to do Supply teaching, because that gives you time to get to know the school and for them to get to know you. If you can offer extra skills, (languages, after school clubs, sports, arts etc), then this can enhance your long term supply job reputation.
    I have pals who are primary school teachers and they say that the main problem is the parents. Some of them are demanding and difficult and rude, and (if living in an affluent area), highly competitive, so that they will complain if their child is not chosen for the school play or football team etc.
    So while you avoid the aggressive conduct from Secondary school pupils, by switching to Primary, you still have to put up with aggressive conduct from parents. And in both cases, the rudeness towards the teacher is not corrected by anyone. The teacher is just expected to put up with rudeness both from Secondary pupils, other teachers, parents.... etc.... After a while this "gets" to any teacher, and I don't know if Primary is better exactly? I would say it is less brutal than a Secondary School environment.
    Wishing you all the best for your new venture.

3. Bolter

Bolter New commenter

I have taught both . Primary is a different discipline , I found it more rewarding but more demanding on you : don’t take a chance without spending time in schools.