1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of starting a masters

Discussion in 'Personal' started by hayley24, Feb 8, 2012.

1. I have been teaching for 5 years, though the first two years were as an unqualified teacher whilst I was completing the RTP. I have a 2:1 in Early Childhood Studies and live in the South East. I am thinking of starting an MA - preferably something to do with Early Years as that's my passion, and I have been working with Nursery and Reception for the last 9 years. I work full time, so would need to complete a part time MA. Has anyone done/or doing a similiar MA? Have found a couple of courses at different universities, but they give very little information about how often you have to attend uni, how many assignments there are to complete etc. I am going to discuss it with my headteacher tomorrow, but any information/advice anyone has would be welcome! Thank you! :)

2. I have been teaching for 5 years, though the first two years were as an unqualified teacher whilst I was completing the RTP. I have a 2:1 in Early Childhood Studies and live in the South East. I am thinking of starting an MA - preferably something to do with Early Years as that's my passion, and I have been working with Nursery and Reception for the last 9 years. I work full time, so would need to complete a part time MA. Has anyone done/or doing a similiar MA? Have found a couple of courses at different universities, but they give very little information about how often you have to attend uni, how many assignments there are to complete etc. I am going to discuss it with my headteacher tomorrow, but any information/advice anyone has would be welcome! Thank you! :)

3. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I did mine through the OU - I managed it while working full time and you can choose modules which are in areas that interest you.

4. I did mine with the OU too, which i found to be very good. The materials were excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed completing it. So much so that I am considering doing another one (my masters was in Education and am now thinking of doing a subject based one). One of the plus points of doing an OU masters for me was that there is no requirement to complete a large project at the end unlike most other university based courses. Also, you don't have to attend the tutorials too often as most of the work is completed online and via email with your tutor which helped me manage my time well whilst completing my course.

Hope this helps.

5. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I'm currently finishing mine at the University of Bedfordshire. During the pre-dissertation units I attended about 6 lectures/tutorials during the year with each unit expecting about 5000 words ish (I'd gained some M credits from my PGCE, which handily reduced the amount of work).
    I'm doing my dissertation unit now, and the previous research unit builds up to it. It still requires a fair bit of reading (much of which can be accessed online) but if you're organised it can be managed sensibly around a full day.
    Though the lack of regular contact can breed a "stuff it, next week" attitude...particularly after a hard day!

6. Thank you everyone! It took me until today to find my original post and read your replies. [​IMG] I have been offered a place at Reading Uni, so have decided to try and go for 1 module a term and aim to be finished within 3 years. Thanks for your comments :)