1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of returning - HELP!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dav1970, Mar 27, 2017.

1. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Hi there, long time since I've been on the forums after a hiatus of about a year. The reason for that is last May, I left the primary school classroom to return to my older 'career' in IT. Here's my situation - I'm in my late 40s and retrained as a teacher in my late 30s. I pushed myself pretty hard to gain multiple promotions. After almost reaching the top in my school I reached a point where I wasn't sure if pushing myself this hard was good for me or my family. An old friend of mine in the IT industry asked me if I ever thought about returning to the private industry in a similar role to what I did before becoming a teacher. So much to the shock of the school and kids, I left. My current job is reasonably stress free, not bad money and I work from home. But here's the issue - it's boring. My head is going to stew. And feel down - believe it or not - I really miss elements of teaching, particularly managing my own class which I absolutely loved. Elements I didn't love were the usual endless marking and constant needless scrutiny. So, thought I'd pop on here and gather a host of response from anybody hat may have done something similar or maybe anybody that is considering it. It's a strange situation; considering leaving a reasonably placid job which pays well but is mindnumbingly boring to go back to the chalk face. My wife thinks I'm insane and maybe I am. So I'd appreciate the thoughts of my fellow professionals (well, my ex-fellow professional!). Thanks in advance, David.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'll kick off and say I'd advise any to avoid returning to teaching in the immediate future. Education has been in the doldrums for a while and I doubt it will get better for a couple of years yet.

Consider what would be the scenario if you returned to teaching, found again that the endless marking and constant scrutiny started to impact on your health, how might that impact on your wife and home life?

If you're bored in your current job I'm sure there are many other things you could do to 'engage your brain'. Try thinking outside hobbies, write a book, who knows what you might consider!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Maybe consider a return to an independent school.
    Less of the things you didn't like and more of what you did.

Maybe a part time teaching, part time IT role?

I wouldn't swap teaching for anything else, but then again I have never pushed myself hard to achieve promotion.

drvs and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. scarliell

scarliell New commenter

Hello Dave

I too left teaching to gain a better work/life balance but found that although my alternative employment gave me a better balance, it became very dull. There were other issues too but won't go into those in a public forum! I was out of teaching for 3 years and the first year was good but by the second I was definitely considering more and by the third I not only needed to get back to the same things you mention, my own class, more stimulation, unpredictability of each day...but as importantly to work with people of a like mind.
    The down side is I took a big pay cut as I left on the UPS and returned low on the MPS, I should be a better negotiator though I guess.
    I have loved my 8 months back in the classroom, it's been a rapid ascent as of course there have been huge curriculum changes but I did a lot of research and have worked with very supportive colleagues. I'd say do it but regain that balance. Good luck.

dav1970, Pomz and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Good to hear a couple of people saying they are still enjoying the challenge of teaching.

I must admit I enjoyed my time in teaching, though I count myself fortunate to have started teaching when I did alongside superb colleagues, but Schools do seem very different places now.

We do need passionate teachers. If not who will teach the next generation like my grandchildren?

dav1970 likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

Remember we do get a skewed picture on TES. ;)

drvs and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Thanks for all of your replies. Scarliell, interesting path oh have taken. Slightly different to mine in that I'm not having any problems or anything aside from the boredom that is! Can I ask what year group you teach and what type of school you are in (Primary, Junior, 2 form entry etc). Are you finding it as hard as everybody makes out? Always concerns me when I read what the first response had to say but I guess everybody has their own perspective on it. I loved classroom management and having my own 'squad' to meet, talk to and teach each day. Get rid of marking and over scrutiny and I do believe it's one of the best jobs in the world! Always optimistic though I guess...

8. Lara mfl 05

I gave that first response and have always been passionate about teaching. That response is coloured by memories of what teaching used to be like, when nearly every teacher was just so thankfu and happy they were being paid for something they enjoyed every single day. That does not generally seem to be the case with teachers who've been involved in teaching for a while these days.

Having said that can I say what I always say
    and I say to any prospective teacher,
    "If you're passionate about teaching, do it! We need young enthusiastic teachers who are still passionate about the job.
    Just plan to do it for a set time. I'd suggest a maximum of 10-12 years.
    Plan your exit strategy, well before you need it, should the job suddenly turn round and your health suffers or you need a rapid exit."

dav1970 likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

I agree with you completely and utterly.
    Although we do have to mark now I'm in an independent, it isn't at the ridiculous nonsensical way of some state schools. And we do have monitoring, but again at a more sensible level.
    Teaching is the best job in the world for sure...and I've nearly finished 21 years of it!

drvs, dav1970 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

I think it's good advice and really, I've only got 17 years to the 'official' age of retirement anyway. I'm going to sit here n these responses for a while and see what appears in the job pages in the coming months. I think teachci g gets into your bloodstream and affects you in more was than one, wether it be for good or bad.

11. scarliell

scarliell New commenter

Hello again Dave, a delayed response... had all that marking etc! In reply to your questions I returned to a large primary and teach Yr1. It has been great but I think the whole thing depends on your outlook, your balance and your passion. There are clearly going to be parts that are better than others but I also love being part of a school community, the changes that a school can make to families' lives and knowing that I can make a difference all sound emotional but that's why despite everything I returned.

12. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Thanks for that - interesting take on teaching and yes, I was always a bit like that, rose tinted specs, thinking I was making a huge difference etc. But you can and I'm still passionate about that. May I ask what you left to do, how long for and how difficult you found it getting back in? Did they not look at it with suspicion?

13. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I took a year out in which I did absolutely no work at all, just pursued my interests and recharged my batteries. Got the first job I applied for (independent sector) who approved of my wisdom in taking a break. Given your age, you should choose your sector carefully as it will likely become harder and harder to move over the coming years.

14. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

could you do your present role part time? Then do a couple of days a week supply teaching?

15. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

No chance of that. They would hit the roof if they thought I was even considering why I wanted to get back into teaching! I'm just going to take my time. Really, any jobs now are starting September and it's a 3 month notice period. So I guess I can talk to like minded people on here, gather my thoughts, not do anything etc. It's a real double-edges sword this of course. Like I've said, I get paid well for working from home and have my evenings and weekends back. It's just dull, every day pretty much the same. Do I stick with it for the next 17 years until or go back to the excitement, stress and predictable days of teaching? I'm not asking for the answer to that by the way, just your opinions. Only I can make the overall decision, ha ha!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. suttonmoon82

suttonmoon82 New commenter

David, it was encouraging to see your post on here. I've been in two minds myself...for quite a while! I'm from the UK and have been teaching since 2005, but have been living abroad since 2013. During the last three years, I've experienced some different 'versions' of teaching and since July, have been out of teaching, save for a couple of weeks of supply recently. In the period since July, I have been trying out an alternate career and have also had a lot of spare time. I got bored too! Colleagues and I would frequently talk about what we would do if we weren't teaching and I tried it, but it wasn't for me. Like you, there's a bunch of stuff I dislike about teaching, but I do miss the kids, having my own class/classroom and being a part of something. And do you know what, I'm bloody good at it. I'll be teaching again in the next academic year and though I'm aware of the various downfalls, I'm really excited to go back to it. I know that there are some parts that will continue to vex us all, but overall I know it's the right thing for me. That said, I will continue to be abroad and will be working in an independent school where the class sizes are pretty small, particularly compared to the UK and I'm not sure that the political side of things is as it is in the UK. As you said, only you can make the decision and I'm not convinced I would like to return to teaching back home. I guess it very much depends on your location and what positions/options are available to you. Good luck!

dav1970 likes this.
  17. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Good luck! The foreign option has crossed my mind many times but too old and too many kids now!