1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of resigning... Depression and anxiety

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lola1619, Apr 29, 2019.

1. lola1619

lola1619 New commenter

Morning everyone,

Another night of worry and insomnia and I just feel like I need some advice.

I started a part-time maternity cover contract earlier on this year and had to be signed off sick due to depression and anxiety as I had a major break down and couldn’t stop crying for days at the school or at home. I have now been signed off by my GP (it has been 2 months) put under medication and therapy. The school also referred me to Occupational Health who were extremely useful and understanding of my situation.

I have been going through hell for the last couple of months, leaving my house was impossible until a few weeks ago. I am now starting to feel a little bit better in myself and able to do more “normal daily life” things like cleaning, grocery shopping if accompanied etc, but I have recently starting to notice that a massive trigger of my anxiety are teenagers/school related, to the point that I get painful physical symptoms just from the sight of a child or school.

This has forced me to realise that my anxiety and depression is very linked to the school and my job and even though it is a very difficult decision to make, I am now considering resigning from my job as I am struggling more and more to see the possibility of a healthy return in teaching in the future for me. I was such a happy person before I got into teaching and it hurts so much to see this recluse person I have become.

I am aware of the different notice periods that apply to Teaching contract but my contract does not mention anything about it in the “Notice” section. What my contract says is:

“Your notice should be given in writing to the HT.

If for some urgent reason it is necessary for the contract to be terminated before its stipulated terms, the employment will be terminable by the giving of one week’s notice on either side, subject to the employer giving at least 1 week’s notice for each year of continuous employment.”

Would it be possible to get some advice on what I should be doing if I decide to go ahead with my resignation?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thank you.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Sorry you have been unwell.

If you are in a union you could call them and get their cooments on your query. The are besy placed to help you as they will have the relevant experience in such matters.

Trust you get well soon.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

There really is nothing to be lost by asking the HT. S/he will be well aware of your predicament and this won't come as earth-shattering news.

4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Sorry to hear you feel so unwell.
    It may be that because you are on a temporary contract, that things are different? Union advice would sort this out easily, and as GDW says, the HT may be willing to let you go early.
    Take care.

5. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

I don’t usually say this but i think you need to change career. If you feel sick at the sight of children it’s time for change. No-one should have to go through that.

I think HT would be able to let you leave early- it’s in everyone’s interests.

Perhaps, just until you find your feet, register with one of those admin temping agencies like Pertemps. Often no big job interviews.

6. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 Occasional commenter

There is life outside of teaching x Get your health prioritised and talk to the school, (with the caveat of union advice).
    Take care of you x

7. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, you need to know you can get better. I was in a similar place and completely get where you are. I was able to carry on working (somehow) while everything else fell apart - everyone is different. BUT, you can come out the other side even when that feels completely and utterly impossible.
    Secondly, I read your contract as you have to give one weeks notice. As you have only recently started this temporary contract, and I imagine you are running out of sick pay anyway - I don't see any rational reason for delaying a conversation with your HT. I say that because I also assume you will not get better before your contract comes to an end because of mat leave ending, and if there is no sick pay - why stay tied? (Where-as normally I would advise not to make such a decision whilst you are this unwell). You might find the act of resigning helps you to feel in control.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm also going through a bit of a period where I'm starting to wonder how long I want to do this job.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  9. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Occasional commenter

Same. I do love the kids, but the stupid and frankly Kafkaesque priorities now imposed on state education just make me want to switch systems and get into private. I know there are just as many compromises and irritations in whatever sector, but god. The sheer mendacity we operate under now, where the needs of the kids are absolutely subordinate to the needs of the SLT / institution, but we all have to participate in the doublethink of "doing what's right for the kids" anyway. I just get angrier and angrier about it, and it's doing my head no good at all.

Anyway. To the OP. I'm sorry you're feeling so unwell, and I both empathise and sympathise. Speak to your union. Speak to your HT. Listen to as many trusted voices in your life as you can, and then make a decision. If you conclude that teaching isn't worth the impact it's having on you, and you decide to leave, you will have done a brave thing. If you conclude that maybe it's other factors, and that the job can be managed once you're well, that's equally a brave thing. Good luck, and be kind to yourself. x

agathamorse, JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.