1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of packing it all in!!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by JCG75, Feb 27, 2012.

1. <font size="2">I qualified with a PGCE in Primary education last June. Following 3 interviews I still didn&rsquo;t have a job so I signed up with 3 different agencies starting Sept 2011. During the first term, supply was very slow and I only worked about 10 days in total. This really didn't help my confidence and I started to consider my options.</font><font size="2">On the first day of term in January I received a phone call to go to a school a few miles away which I was really pleased about. This however turned out to be 6 weeks of hell. I had the worst behaved class ever. 2 children were completely off the wall!! Another 6 were very badly behaved and the other 22 although they were nice children, they were very easily lead. This meant chaos. It became so bad that I felt all I did was manage behaviour and we didn&rsquo;t get through half of the work I planned. I was on a couple of occasions going to leave, but the head talked me into staying. It might be worth adding that the regular teacher is off with stress!!</font><font size="2">I finally made the decision to not return to the school after half term and was given a mouthful from the supply agency. </font><font size="2">Tomorrow is the first day I've got booked since leaving 2 weeks ago and I feel sick to the stomach. I feel that I had such a bad time at the last school I don't think I can cope with going into another class like that again. I worked so hard to gain my PGCE while being a mum to my 2 little girls and don't want it to be for nothing, but I just don't know if teaching is for me.</font><font size="2"> </font>

2. <font size="2">I qualified with a PGCE in Primary education last June. Following 3 interviews I still didn&rsquo;t have a job so I signed up with 3 different agencies starting Sept 2011. During the first term, supply was very slow and I only worked about 10 days in total. This really didn't help my confidence and I started to consider my options.</font><font size="2">On the first day of term in January I received a phone call to go to a school a few miles away which I was really pleased about. This however turned out to be 6 weeks of hell. I had the worst behaved class ever. 2 children were completely off the wall!! Another 6 were very badly behaved and the other 22 although they were nice children, they were very easily lead. This meant chaos. It became so bad that I felt all I did was manage behaviour and we didn&rsquo;t get through half of the work I planned. I was on a couple of occasions going to leave, but the head talked me into staying. It might be worth adding that the regular teacher is off with stress!!</font><font size="2">I finally made the decision to not return to the school after half term and was given a mouthful from the supply agency. </font><font size="2">Tomorrow is the first day I've got booked since leaving 2 weeks ago and I feel sick to the stomach. I feel that I had such a bad time at the last school I don't think I can cope with going into another class like that again. I worked so hard to gain my PGCE while being a mum to my 2 little girls and don't want it to be for nothing, but I just don't know if teaching is for me.</font><font size="2"> </font>

3. Teaching is probably for you but you may never have the opportunity to show it. As an NQT you are still getting some supply and could probably scrape a living while you look for something else. I was an M6 supply teacher who cannot get short-term work due to CSs and now will not be offered long term work because of the twelve week rule in the AWR which means a jump in &pound;50 a day or more. This is not a rant against you, being a cheaper teacher, but I am suggesting that you don't do the same as me, hanging on to gain 23 years of experience which now works against me getting a job. My last two jobs were picking orders in a chocolate warehouse and fixing tags onto garments in a sports clothing warehouse. Both jobs minimum wage.
    If you do eventually choose to go use your remaining employabilty as supply, because of your cheapness, as time plan your exit so that you end up in a new career with at least a tiny degree of job satisfaction rather than my experience of being pushed off the back of the education gravy train at the age of 48 when your average whippersnapper thinks that you have already got one foot in the coffin even when you are fitter than your obese potential supervisor. Also if you think that tapeworms and educational supply agencies have similarities industrial agencies are just the same in there sharp practice.
    Don't hang on and hope, broaden your oppertunities before you suffer from age discrimination.

4. You say you did 10 days of work as an agency supply teacher after doing P.G.C.E. well how did these days go? may be worth reflecting on these days instead of what happened since January.
    I am secondary so I cant really talk about Primary. However schools are schools, but alarm bells should always flag a supply teacher as they should ask themselves,
    Why am I here?
    Could be a good reason Maternity, Bonafide sick?
    Stressed out teacher is the worst type of booking.
    If you turn the class around and everything is wonderful then stressed out teacher suddenly gets lets well again, turns up and you get dropped. (what stressed out teacher does not want to hear from their mates in school who stressed out teacher is on the phone to is that the classes are fine and getting along well)
    Supply teacher, gets stressed out teachers class, and ends up being stressed out.
    Situaton the same.
    Always beware of a stressed out teacher booking, do well you are dropped anyway.

5. ...Hello JCG75...its a pity that you, along with many NQTs and inexperienced teachers, have arrived into the profession at possibly the worst time imaginable.
    ... I am an optimist by nature, but there is little point trying to sugar coat the situation. In an ideal world, you would have by now been ensconed in a position, building up your knowledge, confidence and skills and forging ahead into what was once a wonderful career. In reality the current impasse, partly the result of schools using cheap labour (CSs!!) and budget cuts means many NQTs arent getting a look in. ***, no one is getting a look in!!
    ...A mate of mine had to complete his NQT in 4 different schools!! and 2 of them were so far away that he had to rent for 5 days a week and come home at weekends!!
    ...they told me after my first year things would get easier and to a point they did. But that was when things were good, jobs aplenty and prospects on the up. The current situation is unlike anything gone before. Only scraps are available and I would suggest that you dont give up hope and keep your chin up. There will be light at the end of the tunnel and try to take what you can, if only to ensure your NQT status is met, even if it happens to be on supply.
    Good luck

6. Yep my post was a bit cynical so good luck.
    I did PGCE secondary in 01 and induction in 02. My NQTschool were supportive even though I probably did not realise it at the time.
    In my case I probably could not have handled a supply booking straight after PGCE in any school never mind tackling really difficult classes.
    So if you have handled your first 10 days as an agency supply teacher since September you have done well.
    Thing is I reflect and look back at the early days of my teaching experience and I required induction support.
    I feel for the ex PGCE,s who are having it all a lot harder than it was for me.
    Amongst all the discussions regarding CS and unqualified teachers lack of appropriate induction posts is a bit of a scandal as far as I am concerned

7. THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY !

8. Officially I am beyond retirement age. I know that many people would disagree with my wish to be able to carry on teaching which is still my legal right. Ideally I would like to work part time teaching classes while their assigned teacher is having their PPA time.
    However. I recognise the reality of the current situation and I have completely abandoned all efforts to get any teaching work. All I can do at the moment is to do some voluntary ESOL teaching.
    But that does not mean that I think it acceptable that schools can advertise for HLTAs to "teach throughout the school during PPA time and to do supply cover where HLTA qualifications are desirable but not essential."
    I may have packed in a teaching career after more than 30 years in the job (or rather been thrown on the scrap heap) but should I stop campaigning for the rights of the thousands of supply teachers and unemployed teachers to work as teachers?
    I have written many letters to the DfE, to ministers and back bench MPs, to unions, to newspapers etc and have also spoken to my MPs. Should I stop doing that?
    I have spent many hours conductin a survey into the use of support staff instead of qualified teachers during PPA time. I have summarised the results of this survey on here and have offered to provide more detailed information to anybody who is interested. All anybody has to do is to pm me on my inbox with contact details but nobody has taken me up on my offer.
    Is there anybody really interested in protecting the rights of all supply teachers and unemployed teachers? Or should I take the same attitude and give up on all my efforts on your behalf?

9. Sounds like you have done above and beyond the call of duty Bronco, I for one salute you and encourage you to carry on. I can't say I know what the future holds for ALL teachers (and few on this site can either). The profession is under economic attack from a government that is not going to be re-elected and by an education minister who is digging his own grave. Cover supervisors will fade as the economic climate improves. Times change, people change........!

10. Well I survived today but still not sure this is what I want. Might just see if I can do more odd days and see if my love of teaching returns. Thanks for all of your comments