1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of moving to UAE with a young family

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Magpie939, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Magpie939

Magpie939 New commenter

Hello all,
    I have worked in the MIddle East twice when younger and not a parent (3 yrs Kuwait, later back again to Bahrain for 4yrs.) Enjoyed it, but it's a different proposition now with a wife and young daughter.
    I'm thinking of applying for primary/junior headship at an international school (satellite of a famous old Sch in the UK).
    Does anyone have any experience/advice about taking a family to UAE (particularly AD)?
    Any advice on swapping UK headship for UAE International Sch headship would also be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Magpie.

2. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

Hi Magpie. AD is truly a lovely place to bring up kids. Incredibly safe, loads to do, especially in the 7-8 months of gorgeous weather (OK, pretty naff for 4-5 months when everything is inside!)... I assume you are speaking about the primary head on the Al Reem island satellite; it is small at the moment, but as Al Reem grows, sure it will have big plans to expand. However, remember that the freedom you posses as a UK headteacher will not apply as a head of primary - consider it a deputy head role - under the principal, who is also under the owners' whims. Salary will be (should be) at least as good as your UK heads salary - the school will have mostly western ex pat kids.
    My wife has done what you are thinking about, and she loves it here.... Weekends at The Club, brunching far too often, and definitely too many Ladies Nights! You will (hopefully) have a blast!

3. Magpie939

Magpie939 New commenter

Thanks Powergnome, I really appreciate your reply.

4. ramsaybairn

ramsaybairn New commenter

I was under the impression that the Al Reem satellite school was mainly made up of local pupils at present.

5. rednelly84

rednelly84 Occasional commenter

Most of the schools in AD are...even the oldest British school here is accepting more locals. Ruling was passed a few years ago saying that schools are no longer selective and that if a local wants a place, despite what the reports say, the local gets a place. I know of one school who used to accept children based on their sporting pedigree but that's gone by the by now.

6. rednelly84

rednelly84 Occasional commenter

To the OP, I agree with powergnome. Many teachers in senior management positions struggle to adjust to the constant reigns been pulled on them by CEOs and owners and from ADEC who are ever increasing their list of cannots. Maybe it's because I've been here too long that I've seen such huge changes and not all of them good ones. In my opinion, come as a teacher. You'll have the work life balance with a decent enough package. I've worked my way up but the workload and constant scrutiny isn't worth it.
    Good luck with what you decide.

7. m_gallagher1981

m_gallagher1981 New commenter

My husband and I are considering UAE too. One of my biggest concerns would be childcare. Supposing we did intend to move over for the next academic year, our little boy would only be just under two years old (he'd be 2 in late Sept of 2017). Most schools younger years programmes don't have children under 3 and so we'd have to look into nurseries etc. They seem to be as expensive in Dubai as they are in London, and I'm not overly keen on forking out over £1k of my monthly salary on it...