1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of moving to Abu Dhabi with 2 kids and non-teaching husband HELP!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by celticreature, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I suspect you get lots of requests like these but I would really appreciate if you could help me. I am a mature (45!) year old teacher with 4 years experience, 2 in FS , 1 Reading Recovery and 1 Special Needs under my belt. My husband was born and reared in Kuwait and I lived out there (in a previous life as cabin crew!!!) for 3 years too. We are thinking of selling up and coming out to Abu Dhabi (if I can get a job) as are sick of the life in the UK. My husband is not a teacher, he works in Cargo Admin at the airport here but he is confident he could find a position as he worked in Kuwait for 10 years before coming with me to UK. We have 2 kids 8 and 10.
    Please can anyone else who has 2 kids (and a non-teaching husband) and is teaching in Abu Dhabi or anywhere in the middle east please tell me if it is affordable and what packages I should look at. There is so much to look at it is a bit over whelming. My work life here consists of getting up at 5-6 am to 'do a bit of planning/assessment before my own kids wake up. Going into school at 8 sometimes 7 am. Coming home at 6.30 pm and working at least one of the weekend days. Also an awful lots of my holidays are taken up with work. Yes I am a perfectionist but the whole thing means no work-life balance. Is it any better out there??
    Sorry its such a long post and please, please somebody reply!!!!

2. HI,
    I can only tell you my experience. My wife and I moved out to the UAE in September for my teaching role.
    1. I have to sign in with a finger print scanner before 7:30am and out after 3:30pm.
    2. It is a private school so class sizes of 20 or less.
    3. Cost of living is pretty similar to UK, I would say a little bit cheaper overall.
    4. make sure you get a good package, health insurance, flights and housing etc. Simply not paying rent or a mortgage goes a long way to our savings.
    5. My wife earns a good salary and works a lot less hours compared to back home and as it is tax free we are financially better off here.
    6. There is a strong work ethic out here, the holidays are at the end of every term so no half term breaks which does play a big factor in the stress levels.
    7. weather is pretty good too.

best of luck

3. Thankyou for taking the time to reply Gappy. I appreciate it. Will certaintly look into the overall packages when I apply!