1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of Moving Abroad...Am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by linziwicks, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am looking at teaching in an International School in Germany, initially a 1 year commitment....but who knows....
    My family are very supportive and partner is thinking of upping sticks and coming with me...but Any words of wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers
    Linz

2. Hi
    I am looking at teaching in an International School in Germany, initially a 1 year commitment....but who knows....
    My family are very supportive and partner is thinking of upping sticks and coming with me...but Any words of wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers
    Linz

3. I would say go for it! Germany is not that far away so if you do get a longing for a bit of 'Englishness' then a weekend at home is only a short flight away. Living abroad is an amazing experience - you'll meet and work with people from all over the world and the great thing about teaching is that, ultimately, you're doing the same job, using the same skills, wherever in the world you might be, give or take a difference in behaviour!!
    I taught for two years in Singapore so I'm not sure what it's like living in Europe but the experience still resonates with me 18 months later, so much so that I'm thinking of going overseas again. If your partner is supportive enough to up sticks and come with you then you really have nothing to loose. Good Luck !

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Contracts of two years are the norm, so if you've only been offered one year you might want to do a bit of digging. There are a lot of good international schools in Germany, but there are one or two flee-pits. So try to make sure you don't end up in one of them.

Also, if you don't speak any German, do be aware that although English is widely spoken there are some places where hardly anyone speaks English. Typically these will be in former East Germany, and some small towns: and Germany is a tough language.

Good luck.

5. I would say go for it! Germany is a beautiful, wonderful country and the people are fantastic as long as you can deal with their blunt attitude. German is a relatively easy language to learn, closer to English than French. I would agree with the comment about checking out the school carefully though.
    Germany is close to the UK if you feel homesic but also surrounded by some other great countries to visit.

6. David Getling

German may well be closed to English, but my own experience is that I found French vastly easier than German. However, it might just be me, so maybe a few others with experience learning both these languages might like to offer their opinions.

I'd certainly agree about Germany being beautiful. As for the blunt attitude, I've never noticed it - but then again I'm told tact has never been my most endearing characteristic :).

7. Of course you are not crazy.
    Just remember Bazil Fawlty's advice..."Don't mention the war"

8. Thanks for the advice guys,
    They have said they want at least a year and most of their staff stay longer.
    As for the language, I speak a little german (badly) as I did learn german GCSE so hopefully will brush up quickly.
    I am going out there to visit and go through the finer details so I will be able to see if its as nice as it looks on the website.
    Arrr wish me luck!

9. David Getling

If this school is in Berlin google me, find my CV, and if it's the school I'm thinking of PM me.

10. Hi,
    No, its not Berlin, I am over in Cologne had the first day of teaching today and loved it, it seems a world away from schools in the NW of England!
    Linz

11. Good, good, bloody good. A good news story.
    Good for you Linz - happy days.
    [​IMG]