1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of leaving

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Kenny9, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Kenny9

Kenny9 New commenter

Thanks for the advice. It means a lot.
    I really am trying my best, I'm fairly young but have got a lot of experience teaching at 6 different schools.
    The Govs said to keep quiet about the letter and try to work with the staff. I've tried and I'm still trying. I'm starting to feel a couple of them will make up something about me, as they have gone down the intimidating line already.
    Not sure what to do....no sleep tonight.

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You're welcome. I know what it's like to take on a school in a mess with some unwilling staff, and a head who let them run the school how they liked.
    That's basically what you're railing against. They're pushing to see whether you mean what you say. Consistency is key. Stick to what you believe in. They will respect you more for it in the long run.
    I think the govs advice isn't good to be honest, if they didn't want you to react they shouldn't have shown you the letter.
    Speak to your union tomorrow, do you have any ht friends? Maybe your old head? I don't know your relationship with them. When things get tough you need someone you can call and offload to, even if they don't have the answer.
    Personally I don't think you can move things on until it's tackled. Head on. Anonymous letters are cowardly. They need to know that, and that it's unacceptable. They need to know that you welcome a professional
    dialogue, with the emphasis in professional.
    Any potential allies? What's your deputy like?

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Your governors also have a duty of care to you. Speak to your chair. If you're not happy about meeting with the staff ask the chair to do it. The chair should explain that there is a complaints procedure which can be followed. However, anonymous compaints will not be followed up. It would be helpful if the chair explained the need for change ( I presume they know the state of play) and that they have employed you to instigate the change.
    The chair could also issue them with a copy of the complaints procedure. Maybe with the vexatious section highlighted.

4. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

I am not a HT- far from it!- but have been, as a class teacher, in a similar situation where new HT came in and certain staff decided to "gang up" against her. Basically and I don't know your situation obviously, they had been getting with murder for years and new HT ruffled their feathers by asking them to re-submit inadequate planning, collecting in books, doing trawls- identifying lack of progress and cursory marking etc.etc., not alwats taking their side when parents complained etc.etc.
    When new HT realised what was happening, she arranged a series of "professional conversations" with every member of staff individually, making sure that the ringleaders were scheduled to go in after each other so they couldn't confer and spoke to every member of staff about what they thought about the school- what was good, what could be better and would they want their own child to attend the school and if not, why not.. A respected senior member of staff took notes for each meeting and a summary of statements was produced afterwards. What it did in the end, was to dissipate the stirrings as it was spelt out to the troublemakers that not everyone agreed with them. Things petered out over time as they moved on once they realised HT meant to do things her way and would not give in.