1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of leaving teaching profession - help required

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by jellybaby2009, Nov 11, 2015.

1. jellybaby2009

jellybaby2009 New commenter

Hello

I am giving serious consideration to leaving the teaching profession for various reasons, reasons shared by many of you. I've also just been reading some of the advice already posted and the information links available - great advice.

However, I'm concerned about applying for other jobs out of the teaching profession as I am now not in a position to leave until end of April, (having missed the deadline for Christmas, the next one being February to leave 30 April). I'm worried employers wouldn't want to appoint someone who can't start work for them for another 5+ months. I'm not in a position to quit the profession and then start to apply for other jobs as it's not guaranteed I will be offered a position and I don't really fancy supply work.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

thethiefoftime likes this.
  2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Resignation deadlines are not set in stone. If you are leaving the profession, a HT may negotiate a early release from your contract.

It depends what you are looking to do really. Don't always assume though that longer notice periods are unique to teaching. These are normally other professional joba though. If you would be moving to a job, what with the greatest respect, is not a 'professional job' say, admin, then yes, they would consider it a problem maybe.

IF an opportunity comes up, have that chat with the HT before applying.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, as @DYNAMO67 says, a HT may, MAY, be willing to let you resign and leave at a non-standard date.

But it cannot be relied on, I'm afraid.

Missing the resignation deadline

Asking to leave earlier than your contractual leaving date

October 31, when you can start just before Christmas, is the shortest resignation-to-starting a new job date. For Easter you have the complication of the actual ending date.

Easter resignations - different term dates old school new school

My best advice is to talk to your Headteacher asap about this possibility.

Best wishes

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

If an opportunity comes up outside of teaching, try to negotiate a leaving date but if the HT is awkward just leave.

You owe it to yourself, and the way schools are treating teachers nowadays, you owe them nothing.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The big disadvantage of that is that if the Head then told the new employer (I wish to add another paragraph to the reference that I provided on A.N.Other . .), the new employer could then withdraw the job offer on the grounds of a poor reference. They would, you see, be wary of taking on someone who has broken an employment contract elsewhere.

So you could be left unemployed. And pretty unemployable . . .

Risky. @Scintillant

Best wishes