1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of leaving teaching and I haven't even started

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by indiahackworth, Apr 23, 2020.

1. MisssyHTH

MisssyHTH New commenter

Hi all,
    I am a 21 year old NQT in the north east of England.I qualified in July 2019 with BA(Hons) Primary Education with QTS, since graduating the job market has been tricky I have applied for over 15 jobs, but with 2 other universities in the area churning out primary teachers competition is stiff. I was working with one agency but was getting very little teaching so switched to another after Feb half term, they have given me lots of teaching and I was feeling back into the swing of things as I was beginning to build relationships with lots of different schools.

I finally received my first interview invitation in March at a small SEN school (EYFS). I was obviously really nervous for my interview, but did really well. I didn't get the job, but my feedback from the head was that they had really found it difficult deciding between me and a teacher with 12 years EYFS lead experience, the school had even looked at funding to see if they could also employ me. The feedback was that teaching was definitely my true calling, I showed outstanding teaching practice and knowledge beyond my experience, the head said he really didn't want me to be disheartened and was very genuine about this. The school had a negative Ofsted just before christmas in their EYFS provisions which I think is why they employed someone more experienced than me.

I am now nearly a year on from being qualified and I am really considering leaving teaching. I feel that schools do not want NQT's and that no matter what I do I am not good enough. I have wanted to be a teacher since I was 14 and now I'm here I have no direction. I find myself asking at which point do I decide to leave the profession, if only someone gave me a chance I would throw everything into being the best teacher

2. msr2015

msr2015 New commenter

You are clearly really passionate about teaching. The education system needs people like you, please don't give up hope on the profession!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I agree...15 applications is very few.

steely1 and Marshall like this.
  4. aw7803z

aw7803z New commenter

I will be an NQT September, I am also facing this challenge. Schools actively seek to enrol NQTs and experienced. I have had interviews and the only thing they say is how amazing I was but they feel they need an experienced teacher. So why advertise for NQTs, I thought being an NQT would work in my favour. It is really disheartening.

indiahackworth likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

And yet where I am, everyone seems to only want NQTs!
    Some even write in their adverts "We would ideally like to appoint an enthusiastic NQT."

Schools just want the best teacher on the day and experience is an easy excuse to make for not appointing.

indiahackworth and Marshall like this.
  6. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

When I started in 1981 I applied for over 100 jobs.
    Finally got two term temp - then unemployed for 9 months, then 1 teen temp followed by 1 term temp elsewhere and then permanent.

7. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Keep trying - there is a a shortage of teachers!!

8. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Don't give up. It's understandable that a school who have been criticised by OFSTED for their early years provision will choose a more experienced candidate. Apart from anything else, the person who got the job instead of you will have been through an OFSTED before. Schools in an OFSTED category are under immense pressure. There will be plenty of jobs advertised between now and the end of June as staff hand their notice in for the 31st May deadline.
    My school only appoints NQTs! We are a large school with lots of older, expensive staff though. Good luck.

9. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Yes. This forum is full of people saying they have been overlooked for jobs because they have too much experience and are expensive. These jobs always go to NQTs because they are cheap (according to the ones who’ve missed out).

And I see the same as @caterpillartobutterfly does, all the time.

Confused messages.

Good luck.

10. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

The other side of the coin is the number of experienced teachers who lose out in the job market to NQTs ... I hear that one a lot.

So don't lose heart. You have a big advantage - you WANT to be a teacher. Your still pushing your way up the gangway to get aboard, most of us are running for the lifeboats.

11. MisssyHTH

MisssyHTH New commenter

Thank you, it is just very challenging but I suppose it is making more eager to be a fantastic teacher!

12. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

It’ll happen! Don’t get disheartened by not getting the job! I didn’t get a job until my 15th interview - let alone 15 applications! Stick at it with the supply! At first I didn’t get much either but then I started getting a lot and particularly on one school, where I ended up going for an interview and getting the job ( I had previously interviewed there about a year or more before as well) It will definitely come!

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Much too soon to give up

14. apcrumpton

apcrumpton New commenter

Sounds as though you have just been unlucky OP. It’s a teacher’s market out there at the moment so there will be lots of opportunities. Best to give it a go before giving up considering you are so passionate. There are plenty of vacancies about even with the current situation so don’t give up!

15. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

15 applications is very little. For many jobs, including many teaching jobs, the number of applicants shortlisted will be a very small fraction.
    I didn’t count them but I am sure I have once sent close to 100 applications to get one teaching job.
    As an NQT schools will snap you up as you are cheaper. There will always be the annoying ones who breeze into the first thing they apply for. For the vast majority of us we just have to treat job application like a dog that won’t unclamp it’s jaws until it gets what it wants!

16. MisssyHTH

MisssyHTH New commenter

Thank you all for your responses! Very sure this is still something I am destined to do/be. It is sadly obvious that I was disillusioned to the idea that it'd be as simple as walking into a job and realistically if you want it you do have to fight for it :)

17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

There is a shortage of CHEAP teachers.

18. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Keep going. Maybe get some advice on your application?
    But seriously. 15 isn't many.

19. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Is there a senior member of staff who you trust within one of your supply schools that would be willing to help you with your letter of application? May I ask, are you sending out the same letter to all schools or are you tweaking it to fit the individual job adverts? I think it's early days for you. The right job will come. Good luck

20. johnathanx

johnathanx New commenter

You can do it. I completely agree with you.