1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of leaving - in the summer holidays!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jimbo2012, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Hi all

First post on here and a bit of a negative one really! I'll keep it quick and spare the details. I'm seriously considering quitting in the next few weeks before the new school year has even started! I know it's outside of expected notice periods but due to several reasons - particularly health reasons - I'm not sure that I can go back.

I wondered if there was anybody out there had ever done something like this or know of anybody? Are there any repercussions? I'm fully aware that it will 'drop the school in it' so to speak but I must put my health first.

Thanks

Jimbo

2. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

First step: go to your GP if you are concerned about your mental and physical health. There may be cause to sign you off work for the first few weeks of the new term which will give you thinking space. There certainly is no shame in admitting that your work environment is having a negative impact on your health.

Second step: have a look at the Teacher Support Network website http://teachersupport.info/ there is a help line you can contact for valuable support with your situation.

Third step: contact your union to discuss the issues that are affecting your health and try to write down a chronological record of what has happened to you that has made you doubt your ability to carry on teaching at your school. Ensure that you keep hard copies of emails or notes that you send to your head teacher and the union.

Best wishes

Snowyhead

3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Just noticed that you have already posted this before and received some very useful advice. Did you act on any of it?

4. Hi snowyhead, thanks so much for your response and no idea why it posted twice?! Yes, all acted upon. I've resigned and feel good about it :eek:)