1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of leaving because of stress

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Cas7777, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Cas7777

Cas7777 New commenter

Has anyone handed their notice in because they feel so stressed ? I’ve recently cried at work & had to come home !

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I'm sure there are people who have handed in their notice for this reason, but please - take a step back, breathe and don't rush into anything.
    It's difficult to offer any advice without more information, but first thoughts:
    - Is your stress just from work, or are you generally feeling low? It might be a good idea to make an appointment with your GP and talk it through with them.
    - If it is work, can you identify exactly what is making you feel so stressed? Think about what changes could be made to improve things, then make an appointment to talk to your line manager - in this case, it's better to have a definite 'time to talk' rather than just stopping them in the corridor and asking to speak to them for a minute. It will also help if you have a realistic idea about what can be put in place to improve the situation. I'm not saying it will happen, but it shows that you are being pro-active and want to make things better.
    - Can you talk to other TAs? It is a very stressful job today, often with a lot of pressure, and TAs can feel the weight of responsibility and accountability now - but a problem shared can be a problem halved. They might have good ideas and suggestions.

Hope you get things sorted and feel better soon.

3. Cas7777

Cas7777 New commenter

I have been a TA for 16 years & at my current school for 7 , I have a bad back ( I’ve had 2 slipped discs & operations!) recently I was told my priority is a boy who’s behaviour has become worse & the senco has said he’s my priority, I have to be with him all day , sitting with him or taking him out of the classroom when he finds things difficult, this is a big change for me as I’ve always been a whole class TA & occasionally take the class as HLTA. I was never asked my thoughts on this & it literally was just the class teacher telling me on day after a meeting with the parents ! He does need a 1-1 but apparently there is no money ! I’ve been doing this since September but I just don’t enjoy it as I have no time with the rest of the children who also need help. The other TAs have been really supportive but the head of school doesn’t seem to care & all she could say when I broke down & cried was “would you like some training?” ‍♀️

4. LORRYW

LORRYW New commenter

Im so sorry you are feeling this way and I can I identify with the position you find yourself in.
    Im afraid I have no answers, just take a step away and consider your options. I am not going to rattle on about my experiences, every situation is different. I think most TAs will recognise what has happened to you. If you really need this job then arrange an appointment to speak to your head. The lad you are working with is not going to benefit form being shipped out of class every time he is seen as being difficult, his behaviour is worsening so SENCO should be looking at other strategies. Schools and the responsibilities of TAs have changed dramatically over the past few years and sadly not for the good.
    Good luck!