1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of going into teaching

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Primarycolours_, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Primarycolours_

Primarycolours_ New commenter

Hi
    I have been thinking about applying for teacher training (Primary school level) for 2013. I was wondering what were my chances are getting into either a PGCE or GTP
    I have GCSEs in Maths-(C) Science-(C) English Language-(B) English Lit-(D), A Levels in English Lang/Law/Communication Studies/Psychology, plus I have a degree in Law.
    I am worried that the D in GCSE English Lit will bring my chances down or are they only concern about English Language? Also will my degree be frowned upon? However I think there are a lot of great things that will transfer from the degree.
    I have been able to get 2 weeks experience in a mainstream primary school and I go a few days a week into a special needs school to observe. I also work in a challenging behaviour residential home.
    Does this tick all the right boxes? Or could I tick a few more?
    Thank you!

2. Primarycolours_

Primarycolours_ New commenter

Hi
    I have been thinking about applying for teacher training (Primary school level) for 2013. I was wondering what were my chances are getting into either a PGCE or GTP
    I have GCSEs in Maths-(C) Science-(C) English Language-(B) English Lit-(D), A Levels in English Lang/Law/Communication Studies/Psychology, plus I have a degree in Law.
    I am worried that the D in GCSE English Lit will bring my chances down or are they only concern about English Language? Also will my degree be frowned upon? However I think there are a lot of great things that will transfer from the degree.
    I have been able to get 2 weeks experience in a mainstream primary school and I go a few days a week into a special needs school to observe. I also work in a challenging behaviour residential home.
    Does this tick all the right boxes? Or could I tick a few more?
    Thank you!

3. Hi
    You certainly do tick the right boxes. You already have your degree, GCSEs and school experience in place. Course providers have the final word on acceptability and relevance of qualifications but your English language GCSE should be fine. It is also excellent that you have already looked at your degree and seen its relevance to the primary curriculum. This will greatly help in your application and the interview discussions regarding subject knowledge. The experience you are gaining in different schools and learning environments will also strengthen your application.
    It may be a good idea even at this early stage to speak to PGCE and GTP providers regarding your degree relevance and the amount of experience they require to see if there is anything else you could be doing. Good luck!
    Stephen Hillier, TDA