1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of doing general primary PGCE but worried about getting a job after

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by hardiesarah84, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm thinking of starting my PGCE this September and have an interview in Feb. At first I felt really confident that it's what I want to do but recently, after reading the news, I have become worried that I will finish the PGCE and struggle to get a NQT job so have wasted all that time and money.
    Does anyone have any advice or is anyone feeling the same?

2. Hi
    I'm thinking of starting my PGCE this September and have an interview in Feb. At first I felt really confident that it's what I want to do but recently, after reading the news, I have become worried that I will finish the PGCE and struggle to get a NQT job so have wasted all that time and money.
    Does anyone have any advice or is anyone feeling the same?

3. Firstly, congratulations on getting an interview. Primary is very competitive and so you have already shown yourself to be a good candidate.
    You can get an indication of the employment opportunities in your area by checking your local authority's website. You could also look at the jobs section of the educational press including the TES, the Guardian and the Independent.
    Places available on teacher training courses are designed to reflect the anticipated number of employment opportunities for the subject concerned so you should not worry unduly. You will also find that more teaching vacancies are available if you can be flexible about the location that you would prefer to work in.
    There is a wealth of advice on the TDA website to help you including an interactive interview designed to give you an insight into the type of questions you are likely to be asked:
    www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/apply-for-teacher-training/help-with-your-interview/interactive-interview
    Good teachers are always in demand and I hope the interview goes well.
    Graham Holley