1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of doing A Level English...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jo_south_yorks, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I'm thinking about doing A Level English but not sure whether I'll be able to cope with it next year. I'm due to graduate in summer and fingers crossed get a job as an NQT for September.
    Was just wondering if anyone had done a long distance or evening course in the NQT year, or infact at the same time as teaching full time?
    JSY x

2. I'm thinking about doing A Level English but not sure whether I'll be able to cope with it next year. I'm due to graduate in summer and fingers crossed get a job as an NQT for September.
    Was just wondering if anyone had done a long distance or evening course in the NQT year, or infact at the same time as teaching full time?
    JSY x

3. I did an Open University course in Physics during my second year of teaching. I am a biologist by degree and was teaching physics, but wasn't thought to be qualified enough to do A Level so took the course.
    It was incredibly tough, as I had a monthly assignment, which was usually left until the last minute. I never completed the reading properly, skimming and finding what I needed to answer questions rather than having the time to study in more depth and develop a decent understanding.
    And then there was an EXAM. It was one of my PM targets so I was allowed the time out of school to go, but I couldn't revise properly and the feeling of looking at questions and, to be honest, not having a clue what they were even talking about is not something I enjoyed.
    I really honestly wouldn't undertake anything extra during your NQT year. Some people struggle with the sudden independence and assessment pressures, plus being a form tutor, attending all the meetings etc. YOu should use the little 'free' time you have to relax and look after yourself.
    Sorry to be negative about this, but I know how hard my NQT year was and how little time I had to even do things like seeing my family.

4. I think you would be better off waiting until your NQT year is behind you.
    At any time doing distance learning or evening classes, you need to be VERY organised with your time and I am sure you will have enough on your plate during your NQT year.

5. Those were the kind of responses I was wanting really.
    I'm primary trained, but feel my English subject knowledge is by far my weakest area. I've been improving it through the course by doing extra reading after each session, but still don't feel that confident with it, hence wanting to do something extra.
    I'll wait until I've got my NQT year done, then think about it again. Until then, I'll just do lots of reading up on things before I teach!
    Thanks to you both
    JSY x

6. Hi Jo, if you name is anything to go by, I've found it almost impossible to find evening classes in A-level English, be it Lang, Lit or the combined anywhere in Sheffield or the surrounding area. If you find one, I'll happily join you once your NQT year is up.

Steffiw

7. My name relates to where I'm originally from, don't live there now but parents are still there.
    My mum did some evening classes at Norton College - don't know if they do A Levels though.
    Or Barnsley College? Or the one in Rotherham - is it Dearne Valley? I think there would be evening classes at those but probably starting each September. (And yea I realise they arent Sheffield but I don't know many colleges there)
    And if I move back home in the near future, and still want to do it, then I'll get in touch! I don't fancy the idea of going to one of those classes not knowing anyone!
    JSY x

8. Do you mean literature, Jo, or grammar? The BBC do some good literacy stuff which might help embed the grammar for you and make you feel a bit more confident.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

For grammar, I recommend any of the TEFL websites, or The British Council have some good stuff. You could buy a book like A Practical English Grammar-Thompson and Martinett or Swan-English Grammar in Use.

A level will be mostly, if not all, Literature.

http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/grammar-and-words