1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of doing a lesson on Tsunami's and Earthquakes

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missh27, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Hello mcn60611
    I'm sorry that you feel that way. Our intention is only to share resources that might help teachers broach this subject in class and to help them answer any questions their pupils might have.
    Best wishes
    Gail

2. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

Sputner - if you want people to pray, you may wish to teach them what has happened first and help them understand it.

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Although it doesn't fit with 'weather' I think it's a good idea to do one off lessons now and again, in response to world events.
    For one thing, it does help the children to understand what's going on. Let's face it, it's hard enough for us adults to fully appreciate the scale of this disaster.
    Before half term I did a lesson about earthquakes. When the Christchurch earthquake happened a few days later the children took a real interest in it and were keen to look at the newsand talk about it.
    I think it's perfectly ok to respond to such an event - obviously with care and sensitivity and age appropriate. Some children need to talk about such events and may surprise you with their questions or comments.
    Maybe you could link it with RE, PSHE or an assembly - even fundraising for a donation to the Red Cross for example.
    I find that the Newsround website is invaluable for things like this.

4. yes - but like sputner and the teacher in japan, i have also found the 'wow - what an amazing resource - which lessons can we use it in - where can we get the best pictures' enthusiasm has left a bad taste in my mouth. we have japanese children at school and links with acton, but even if we didn't, i woould find it hard to view this as a teachinf resource in the way so many seem to be doing here right now

5. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

I have not read any posts where anyone is saying what you are implying above.

6. You could look at Japanese art.
    The Breaking Wave Off Kanagawa. Also called The Great Wave. The original is at the Hakone Museum in Japan.

Hokusai (1760-1849) was a Japanese painter and printmaker. He is most
    famous for his series of prints called "Thirty-Six Views of Mount Fuji"
    (produced during the period 1826-1833). Hokusai's seemingly timeless images are almost 200 years old.

Hokusai's most famous picture and easily Japan's most famous image is a seascape with Mt. Fuji. The waves form a frame through which we see Mt. Fuji in the distance. Hokusai loved to depict water in motion: the foam of the wave is breaking into claws which grasp for the fishermen. The large wave forms a massive yin to the yang of empty space under it. The impending crash of the wave brings tension into the painting. In the foreground, a small peaked wave forms a miniature Mt. Fuji, which is repeated hundreds of miles away in the enormous Mt. Fuji which shrinks through perspective; the wavelet is larger than the mountain. Instead of shoguns and nobility, we see tiny fishermen huddled into their sleek crafts as they slide down a wave and dive straight into the next wave to get to the other side. The yin violence of Nature is counterbalanced by the yang relaxed confidence of expert fishermen. Although it's a sea storm, the sun is shining.

Show the student pictures of some of Hokusai's simpler works, like the image "View on a Fine Breezy Day" . Visit the Webmuseum website, where you can view many of his works online.