1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of doing a lesson on Tsunami's and Earthquakes

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missh27, Mar 13, 2011.

1. As my topic at the moment is weather around the world, I thought I would link it to what is going on in Japan. Struggling with ideas atm?

Anyone help?
    Miss H

2. As my topic at the moment is weather around the world, I thought I would link it to what is going on in Japan. Struggling with ideas atm?

Anyone help?
    Miss H

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What year are they? Some details that the children realise is a real, current event may distrss the more sensitive pupils. So you might be better to refer to Japan in your intro. but go on to look at an earlier example.Plus there'll be more information out there!

4. Sorry
    I have a Y5 class

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

On reflection, if your topic is 'Weather', strictly speaking the events in Japan would come under 'Our moving Earth' as they're caused by Tectonic Plate movement & not Weather.
    However Hurricans & Tornados are weather related. So what about using The Wixard of Oz as an input starter for Tornados?
    You could do weather terminology in an MFL.
    What sort of clothes are suitable for what type of weather? (You could link with Science properties of materialshere.)
    Compare tornados (occurring on land) with Hurricanes (starting over water & hitting land).Lots of potential for report writing, leaflets here.
    Sorry just got to go now. I'll post later if I think of anytrhing else.

6. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

As lara rightly says, events in Japan are not really weather-related. However, that's not to say that you shouldn't touch on them.
    I was in Y6 at the time of the San Francisco earthquake, and it coincidentally happened to be during out unit of work called "Beneath our feet" which somehow managed to link the Wind in the Willows to earthquakes and volcanoes! I still remember now being taken to the TV room to watch some TV news footage from that morning's Sky News - although I must confess at the time I was in part fascinated by the events and in part by the knowledge that one of our teachers had the new-fangled satellite television! But it's certain that I learnt a great deal more about the behaviour of the earth from that few days of study, and was far more engaged in knowing why this had happened than I might otherwise have been.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Did you see my post last night about linking your English work to events in Japan? The weather and journalism are great links for your classwork.
    CBBC has lots of information about weather that could be used. You could of course still use the Australian floods for any work on weather.
    Hurricanes (not just Katrina)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/specials/2005/hurricane_katrina/default.stm
    Australian Floods
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/specials/australian_floods/default.stm
    Tornadoes
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_2290000/newsid_2296600/2296605.stm
    Geographical Association is also well worth a look. There are lots of links from this site with brilliant resources:
    Flooding
    http://www.geography.org.uk/resources/australianfloods/
    Japan
    http://www.geography.org.uk/resources/japantsunami/
    These will also be good resources for your journalism work.
    Hope this is helpful.

8. marlin

9. do you have any japanese children in the class? in the school?

10. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

That ABC site is incredible. We too will be looking at Tsunamis since my topic is coasts. I have recorded the BBC news to show them and edited out any disturbing bits. I intend to ask them what they would like to find out and try to steer them to finding out about earthquakes, Japan, tsunamis etc. To begin with, we will look at Japan on google earth and locate it on an atlas - possibly doing the old trace the outline routine unless they suggest something else and take it from there. There are lots of kids friendly sites about tsunamis and earthquakes if you google. Also - look for Tilly Smith on YouTube and show them her documentary. They could design a warning poster or leaflet. YouTube also has some great earthquake animations to show how they occur.

11. Thank you for all your help!

12. and dont forget to link to RE and P4C- the BIG questions of life!!!

13. Hi all
    We've just put up a collection of tsunami/earthquake resources including a set of resources from Andy McFadden which he uploaded over the weekend. We've included some PHSE/emotion activities too because of how distressing this type of topic can be. We'd welcome any feedback on this collection & ideas for improving/adding to it? Thx Andy

14. Yes I have seen these, one of the PP's is good for the pictures
    The Map of Japan work - I have edited it because the map I have doesn't have some of the places on it. I Have also included some extra information on the sheet to help.
    There is some good information on the fact sheet.

thanks

15. Thanks - Could you upload the map you've edited as a new resource (With a thank-you to the original author)? We can then include it as a new version?

Thx!

16. er i will try... never uploaded anything on here before. but i'm sure its not hard

17. A great topical issue, however, the tsunami is not a weather event, but a tectonic one. Why do you refer back to the snow we had over winter if it is about weather?

18. Hi Marlin, please could you post the link to your post yesterday on conmecting what's happening in Japan to English work? I've done a couple of searches but can't seem to find. Many thanks

19. marlin

20. Dear all,
    Please PLEASE be kind enough not to turn our national catastrophe into a lesson in insensitibity and yellow journalism. For the sake of the perished chidlren.

Thank you.
    A teacher in Japan