1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of China ...

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cg4321719, Feb 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. cg4321719

cg4321719 New commenter

My partner ( who is retired) and I are thinking of going to China. I would teach. What is considered a good package financially and are there areas in particular to avoid? Any other advice would be appreciated.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As regular readers of the pachyderm's online ramblings will know well, Mr and Mrs Hippopotamus were in Shenzhen for five years. We liked it, on the whole, but friends (both laowai and Chinese) all said that Beijing is a big no-no if you have young children and / or any sort of respiratory problem.

If your non-working wife or husband is going to get a visa, cg4321719, then you need to be able to show a marriage certificate to the Chinese Embassy.

Salaries and packages vary a tremendous degree from school to school and from city to city. Also I do not know what subject you teach, your qualifications or teaching experience. Were you thinking of just teaching or would you be looking for a position of responsibility?

3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Please don't take this the wrong way, but potentially age could also be an issue for you. I'm assuming that your husband is over 60, and that you won't be much younger in age. In general China doesn't give employment visas beyond age 60, and sometimes it can be difficult to get beyond 55 (yes, I know it happens sometimes, but them's the laws technically), so schools can often be reluctant to recruit teachers aged 55 or more on a first contract. Other SE Asia countries are less restrictive however so you could also consider those.

cg4321719 likes this.
  4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

An age restriction seems to be now implemented in Shanghai, with 60 been the upper limit.

5. cg4321719

cg4321719 New commenter

I’m 53 this year but my partner is medically retired. Can we still go if we’re not married?

6. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

I think you'd struggle as I'm fairly confident that you would need to be married in order to sponsor your partner

7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

There are many many countries where any of these issues wont be a problem. Just widen your focus

8. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Same in Beijing

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

While I was teaching in Shenzhen, one of my colleagues in the secondary part of the school retired. He was 68!

10. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

For China you'll need to be married for the school to be able to sponsor your partner for their visa.

11. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'While I was teaching in Shenzhen, one of my colleagues in the secondary part of the school retired. He was 68!'

It happened occasionally in the past, oh legendary one, but the school had to make a case to the FEB, these days the rules are being enforced a lot more strictly!!!