1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of changing exam boards for GCSE English

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Jenrawlinson, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Jenrawlinson

Jenrawlinson New commenter

Looking for advice and comparisons between Eduqas and AQA Language GCSE…

In my workplace we currently use Eduqas for our GCSE Language qualification. However, we have seen a trend in students losing substantial marks on the narrative section. Has anyone else experienced this? No matter what we try, the exam board doesn’t seem to award creativity that much.

We are thinking of trialling AQA for GCSE Language. Has anyone made this transition/ had experience of both boards? If so, what are the pros and cons of the AQA GCSE Language papers and criteria? Are the papers easier in terms of marks being awarded for creativity and content? Do both papers cater for all abilities or are they ‘geared up’ towards a certain cohort of students?

Thanks.

2. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

Anecdotally, I’ve always found AQA, compared to Eduqas, are more generous in rewarding writing, but more rigid in what they expect for reading answers – so it balances out to the same overall results.

3. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

I’ve taught both specs and different teachers/ different students really like/hate both for different reasons. If considering AQA really look carefully at paper 1 question 3 (structure) and question 4 (evaluation) and paper 2 question 2 (summary) and question 4 (comparison) and think about how well your students can answer these. As Candy’s Dog rightly says, what they may gain in writing they may lose in reading. I’ve found these reading question especially very different to the Eduqas reading section.