1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of changing exam boards for A-level Biology

Discussion in 'Science' started by mugwump1, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Hi
    We are considering changing from OCR to another exam board for A-level biology. What experiences (good, bad or ugly) have other centres had?
    Currently we are thinking the move will be to EDEXCEL but cannot find another school in our area that uses it to see if this is a good idea.

Any advice ?

2. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

AQA for me. Just seems to hang together nicely.
    Also has the e-aqa facility which allows you to compare students in groups and with similar types of school. You are also able to view which questions they found hard - good for developing strategies with other Biology teachers.

3. We do WJEC which is quite traditional, manageable content volume and (not a reason to change but very welcome) they mark the coursework. They are also very friendly due to small size. I have e mailed queries about coursework and had a response within a couple of hours.

4. thanks for the response - AQA seems very simular in style to OCR, I like the OCR course but it doesn't seem to sit well with our students who are not the independent learner types. EDEXCEL however seems to follow a more GCSE style format that I think our learners may cope with better, but making the jump to a new board is risky and a lot of work especially if it is the wrong choice, it would be lots of work for nothing

5. ooh i hadn't thought about WJEC - I will go and have a look at them now