1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of being a HoD - Examples of leading colleagues

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by its_like_omg, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Recently applied for a promoted post in my own school and was unsuccessful. Head said that I had good ideas to take forward and was involved in a lot of working groups etc. He said that if I could 'lead' colleagues more that would count in my favour in future - I agree with his feedback, this isn't a moan or a rant. Anyway I am wondering if anybody has any good ideas that would allow me to demonstrate my leadership qualities.
    So far (since interview) - I am leading a teaching and learning initiative in the school.
    I have done a few in service presentations.
    I do plenty in the department in way of curricular development etc (not really leading)
    I mentor the students/NQTs

I am also thinking about
    Building and implementing a primary transition course (last 2 weeks primary and 1st 2 weeks secondary)
    Trying to start buddy observations in the school using 'learning rounds'

Any advice on what I am doing/thinking about doing would be much appreciated. Or any glaringly obvious things that I could be doing.

2. finamar

finamar New commenter

Have you thought of doing some CPD, attending courses for aspiring leaders?