1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of becoming an English teacher, please help me

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by miketribe, Jul 27, 2011.

1. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

I remember an incident when I was teaching in Tehran. We had a new history teacher who had graduated from the University of the South whose Southern accent was almost inpenetrable and whose political views were slightly to the right of Genghis Khan. One of the English teachers at the school was Indian and usually wore her sari to school. One day, the Southerner complimented her on how well she had managed to master English. She drew herself up to her full height, looked down her aristocratic nose and informed him that English was, indeed, her first language.
    "Oh," he said, "I assumed that was Indian..."
    "Well," she replied, "One did have to know some Hindi to speak to the servants, but amongst ourselves, we always spoke English..."

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Ah, THE 'Indian' language. Last time I looked at the CBSE syllabuses there were over thirty of them offered at exam level, which is one of several reasons why educated Indians all speak English.
    You are making me feel nostalgic. When we lived South of Delhi, not so long ago, we had teams of cleaners, maintenance men and gardeners. Our driver was also our trilingual Mr Fixit who navigated the labyrinths of Indian bureacracy for us and firmly steered us away from paying expat prices. Our former cook is keen to join us here in Spain and when I tell him we do all our own cooking, gardening and cleaning he laughs uproariously at what he thinks is a great joke.
    Perception and ignorance are important issues when it comes to language. Back in their primary school days one of my children's American friends asked them 'What do you guys speak in England? French?

3. Surely, he said 'injun'?
    I tutored an 11 year old Lebanese kid with thick glasses and a punchable urge to talk some time back (in Kuwait). He asked if, when I shopped in Kuwait, did I speak in Kuwaiti or American.
    That was an easy KD10.