1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of becoming a TA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by rpalmer14, Apr 12, 2019.

1. rpalmer14

rpalmer14 New commenter

I currently work as a technician in a secondary school. For a while now I’ve been trying to get more involved pastorally (Lunch duties, Breakfast Club, trips, etc.) as that’s what I’ve decided I want to go into. We’re currently undergoing a staffing restructure and think this may be a good time to make the change.

Would this be a good step to say a behaviour mentor role in the future?

I have taken some courses in Child Psychology and Challenging Behaviour. I work well 1-1 and in small groups but never had the experience supporting within full classes before.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi rpalmer. You sound to be moving in the right direction towards a behaviour/learning mentor role. I do know that it's a very challenging area to work in and there is lots to learn - in our area, there are courses you can study while working to obtain the qualification needed. I would suggest talking to you line manager or CPD coordinator and discussing your plans with them - they should be able to tell you the best way to move forwards. Good luck!

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

why don't you do a PGCE?

4. rpalmer14

rpalmer14 New commenter

Thanks, I’ve spoken with my managers and SLT about it. They said they will support me if they can but can’t really promise anything. There's been some talk about a trial for a couple of days to see how I’d find it in the classroom so that should be helpful.