1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of becoming a TA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by 4m4xx, Feb 21, 2016.

1. 4m4xx

4m4xx New commenter

Hi everyone...

I'm currently in my final year of my degree and I'm considering a TA position. I have actually applied for a PGCE but I'm beginning to have doubts about whether I'd be able to cope with the workload and stress... therefore I am looking in to a TA position.
    Has anybody got on the job without specific NVQ qualifications? I've done 3 weeks experience in a school and i'm thinking of going back as soon as and doing more experience for as long as I can throughout the academic year. Do you think this would be helpful? I know some people who have got offered a job whilst doing voluntary work there so i'm assuming specific qualifications are not always required?

2. Saland45

Saland45 New commenter

I have known it in schools for people to be employed without NVQs certainly in one place I worked some TA s had no qualifications of the NVQ variety and I have come across a situation this yr where someone was employed who also had never worked in a school either but wanted to be a teacher at some future point. I have NVQ 2 and 3 but for me I think it is sometimes a good thing and shows a certain level of academic study and experience....I have been asked if I have relevant qualifications and feel happy I can say yes...but it doesn't always prevent you from getting employment ...

4m4xx likes this.
  3. egm2786

egm2786 New commenter

My friend completed her Teaching degree and went into a school as SEN T.A as she wanted more classroom experience.
    She is now teaching!
    Good Luck!

4m4xx likes this.
  4. 4m4xx

4m4xx New commenter

Thanks for the insight. Really helpful :)

5. 4m4xx

4m4xx New commenter

That sounds great too, thank you! :)