1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of becoming a T/A with hopes to progress to HLTA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by cupcake87, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Hi all, am looking to make the move to become a T/A i've been wanting to do it for many years but have finally been given a push I needed. My end goal would be to be a HLTA , finding it hard to find much information on how you progress through and how long this takes? I am currently applying and looking for both TA roles and volunteer roles in my local schools, I have been looking at courses online at De Montford college for Level 3 TA Courses, would these actually help me towards getting a t/a job or are they more for a better understanding of the role, i'm totally lost and in need of serious guidance!!!

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi cupcake87, you're on the right track looking for TA and volunteer roles to start with. Most schools do want TAs to have a recognised qualification now, but occasionally people are able to secure a job if they have a degree or other experience schools consider relevant. Looking to work towards a Level 3 qualification is the right move. Having been a HLTA for more than 10 years now and working with TAs and HLTAs across our LA and further afield, I have quite a lot of experience.

I always advise people to enquire at their local college about TA courses first - face-to-face training is generally the best option. However, I know that this is not always possible, and many people do now need to go down an on-line route. Be careful - I have no personal experience of these courses but know that many folk have spent quite a lot of money, only to find that the 'qualification' they receive at the end is not recognised by schools and so not worth the paper it's written on. Your course needs to be CACHE accredited. You will also need a school placement for any course; volunteering is often a good way into that - at our school, several volunteers have gone on to train at college and been able to complete their placements with us.

You could also try giving your LEA a call; they might be able to offer advice and suggestions. In our area, we now have TA apprentices - we've had four at our school. They are employed and have a small salary from the start, working four days a week in school with one day at college. They finish the year with a Level 2 qualification and are then able to do a further year to work for Level 3. We have been able to offer jobs to two of our apprentices on successful completion of their course. I don't know if there are age restrictions for apprentices, but it would be worth an enquiry.

As for HLTA - it's great that you have aspirations - I've always loved my job and still do, but it's a little way down the line. Most HLTAs have a minimum of three years post-Level 3 qualification experience; many have more. You will need to be employed at a school and have the backing of the Head Teacher. The only way to secure HLTA status is via the 3-day preparation for assessment course, which will guide you to prepare your evidence folder which shows how you meet the 33 HLTA standards. You then have a half day assessment at school from a registered assessor. The HLTA National Assessment partnership (hlta.org.uk) will give you all the information you need. You also need English and Maths at Grade C or above, or equivalent.

Best of luck with your plans - post again if you need any help.