1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of Becoming a Doctor

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Fiona L, Jan 1, 2011.

1. I think the fast track way in is 4 years and that's quite competitive to get on. A friend of mine is doing this and he's 34. He's just been accepted so will be 35 when he starts the four year degree. Very tough and years of postgrad exams and training after qualification but it can be done!

2. Yup, 4 years if you already hold a BSc, assuming you can get one of the few places available on accelerated courses - these are only available at a very small number of universities. Otherwise it is still the full 5 years.Then it's the years of further study, postgrad exams (at ~£500 each for each sitting, so you're paying again if you fail), $350 per year Royal College membership once you pass those exams, £420 per year GMC registration, same again each for BMA membership and indemnity insurance.This is on top of the massive debts that would be incurred, the disaster that is the new junior doctor training pathways that corral people into specialities far too early where they struggle to get proper training because of EWTD-compliant rotas needing to run to cover service provision, diminshing study leave budgets meaning any courses for CPD or exam are increasingly self-funded (assuming you can arrange the time off) and a service being run by increasingly bureaucratic systems devised by non-medics who have never worked in the front-line health serviceAnd all of this is assuming you can actually get a job beyond your FY training - even doctoring is not a job guarantee any more.On the other hand, you have to balance the incredibly hard work with the huge returns in terms job satisfaction (assuming you get into the speciality/job/geographical location you want).So pretty much like teaching without the money.A huge decision and one which must be made carefully from both a personal and a financial perspective. You must be prepared to fight for it.L_M.xx

3. I'm thinking of becoming a debt ridden middle aged non event. How easy is this? I have an excellent degree already and would be willing to do a first aid course.

4. I've decided I should probably stick to teaching. I had worked out the financial side of things and had the money to do the training.
    The main reason I wanted to become a doctor was the salary increase from a teachers wage.
    I'm currently on £34k with TLR. I'm hoping to apply for a job after Christmas at my current school as assistant headteacher when the old assistant headteacher leaves.
    That would give me a salary increase at least if I got the job.
    Thanks again guys for the advice.

5. There is no need to be so arrogant! As a matter of fact I have actually done my 'homework', it just happens I typed the original post in a hurry!
    If you can't post anything helpful or kind, don't bother! [​IMG]

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Can you be fast-tracked if you have a first-aid certificate?

7. Yeah I think you're right to be honest!
    I've got Biology, Chemistry, Maths & English A-Level at A grade. Only got 6 GCSEs all of them are As and Bs.
    I've decided it would be too much hard work really!
    Thanks for the advice!

8. I find it very strange that your entire motivation was a payrise. I would understand this if you were considering moving into a similar job to the one you are currently doing..but from education to medicine? Could they be more different?
    Money as a motivation will get you nowhere in medicine, its far too hard for that and you'd be weeded out very early on if that was your main reason. You are on a good salary with good prospects in teaching, as long as you still enjoy the career then stick to what you know and are already good at.

9. I've just read my post through again and realised how it could be read!
    That's not the only reason I wanted to go into medicine!
    The main reason is that I do not find my current job challenging enough and would like more of a challenge.
    This is mainly one of the reasons why I am going to apply for assistant headteacher.

10. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I think you'll find it is 4 years! A family friend is going through the interview stage at the moment and already has a veterinary science degree.
    Daughter 1 is a junior doctor, 4 years post qualification. Organisationally the health service is in as great a mess as education. The hours are horrendous; the typical p£ddle up in a brewery managers make everyone's life hell; it's a lottery to find training places. To cap it all, HMRC have finally caught up with 'Ash Cash'. Can I give you any more encouragement?
    If you really feel it's your vocation then I wish you well, but don't expect the grass to be greener...