1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of also doing supply...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Primary_RE_teacher, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Primary_RE_teacher

Primary_RE_teacher Occasional commenter

Hi all. I am thinking about becoming part time supply. You see, I teach RE, Citizenship and Understanding the world at a primary school. Do you think I should become partly a supply teacher but only at that school?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

It would partly depend upon what your financial needs are and how much you need to make each week. Work out your sums first then decide.

3. Primary_RE_teacher

Primary_RE_teacher Occasional commenter

Ok @pepper5 But what I mean is that I do cover supervising only at that school as I have a full time job at that school.

4. is2

is2 Occasional commenter

DO NOT DO IT! Supply is a dead duck I'm afraid. I have had only 2 days this year whereas I had about 2 offers a day last year, one of those days was this week which is supposedly the peak time. 1 day during the peak time with no others in sight is pathetic and highly disheartening so I am giving it up and suggesting others do the same. It is too depressing waiting for that call everyday and then come 830 no news day in day out. Note I am a highly experienced teacher with five years as a head of department and 1 as supply in my current part of the country but this doesn't seem to matter at all . If you are a cheap under qualified newby you are still likely to get a bit of work or if you have only ever done supply and have a long association with a school then yes you have a chance also. Experienced and established teachers who have come from other areas can forget it. We are the victims of our own success and punished for being highly experienced at the moment as we are more expensive. DO NOT DO IT. If you are doing supply at the moment GIVE IT UP. There is no work anymore I can guarantee it unless you a a cheap inexperienced newby just out of training or having never done a probation year.

5. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

Unless you do not have any money worries, do not choose supply. If you want to do an experiment in personal financial failure, give it a shot.

6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Sorry, I don't get this. Do you mean that you already do cover supervisor at the school, or that you want to do cover supervisor at that school?

Primary schools generally do not use cover supervisors so you'd be onto a loser there. Anyway, if you're now in charge of Yr5 at the school, along with all your RE teaching and - what was it - world something or other - surely doing cover work would be a step down? It's not well paid you know.

Also, just so you know - cover supervisors are not supply teachers.

You also refer to doing supply as well as what you're doing there, but you've said elsewhere that you are employed full time at your primary school. How can you do part-time supply if you're already a fulltime teacher?