1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking like an alien

Discussion in 'Primary' started by greta444, Apr 1, 2012.

1. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Hi, to start our topic on 'space', we would like toleave a series of clues around the playground for the children to discover at playtime. What could we leave?
    Have thought of slime, weird footprints, scorch marks. Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Hi, to start our topic on 'space', we would like toleave a series of clues around the playground for the children to discover at playtime. What could we leave?
    Have thought of slime, weird footprints, scorch marks. Any ideas?
    Thanks

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Craters? Messages? In code? Strange shiny litter?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Do you have a field/grassy area? Crop circles would be cool.

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Thanks you two, not sure I have the energy to dig a crater but the other ideas are fab. Keep them coming.

6. Grolta

Grolta New commenter

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

What, couldn't you get hold of some sort of explosive device to help with the digging??

8. greta444

greta444 New commenter

If I could get hold of said explosive device, I'd put it under the school!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL...would be a memorable lesson for sure!

10. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

On my first teaching practice, many moons ago (heh heh), we got the headto come to class and say that he had had a phone call from NASA to say that our class had been selected to go to the moon...fell for it hook, line and sinker. Was a fun day, that one!

11. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Wow! I bet that was good. Sadly my cynical and way too bright year 6's wouldn't fall for it. Have my doubts about the alien clues but it's aimed at younger children too.

12. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Ha! You never know until you try! I find, with these things, that the power of wanting to believe can be very strong... (and they are only 10 and 11 after all - i persuaded a class of Y5s last autumn that hey were part of a trial for a tv limiter, and hey had better be working out their two hours of tv watching time (in 24hr clock) quick sharpish - beavered away for ages, not a sigke one of them wuestioned the premise! (i must be very dead pan!) On that tp they were Y5 - we did some sort of 'what I would put in my special box' kind of creative writing, something like dessert island discs, if I remember correctly.

13. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

A few years ago we had a drama group come in and set up a staged 'crash' of an alien craft! It was just old car parts and stuff in a heap with a smoke machine rigged up to it. It was all cordoned off son the children couldn't get too close. It was absolutely amazing how even the brighest kids fell for it! The actors were a government official and a scientist. The down side was a couple of the children got really scared and ended up in tears. There were parents the next day contactig the local neighbourhood watch about it!!! Brilliant and lasted all day. There was stuff for kids to do like make notes etc. This was year 6 by the way.

14. Gareth-Brown

Gareth-Brown New commenter

Maybe some fossilised leaves or small creatures, left by an ancient planetary species. Or tiny bacteria (this prob sounds boring but that's what they will be looking for on Mars and one of Jupiter's moons. You could leave some strange looking tools and devices too.

In Melbourne Australia along St Kilda beach there is a scale model of the solar system. The sizes of the planets are to scale and so are the distances from each other. It goes for a long way as the planets are very far away from each other. I've always thought it would be a great excursion!

15. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

There's a scale model of the solar system along the York - selby cycle path too. Or there was 11 years ago, don't live there any more, sadly. The car parts drama sounds fab!!!

16. bits that look like they are from strange machinery, 'strange' for your playground - rocks